Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled apart my recently purchased 350 from my Nova and took the cam out to determine what kind it is (Has major timing issues, it was put in on the exhaust stroke = 180 out. Need to set the correct timing etc.), but when I pulled out the cam I was totally blown away at how I was unable to identify it. If you could please help the link to the pic is on my current website the link is

http://www.creagerink.com/Cam_Type.jpg

If you know or have any thoughts as to what kind it might be please let me know. The other casting numbers on the cam are as follows from the distributor down to the cam gear mount;

CWO
17-C8
C3
EP1

Note: The linked image shows the front of the cam, on the back their is a stamped "J". These are all the markings that are on the cam. Thanks again for all your help guys.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought it was a comp cam but when I called them with the information they said that they mark all their cams on the back with a double "C" overlapping one another. I asked if it could be an older one and he said that they have always had that mark from the beginning.

After your reply I went out and looked the cam over again and found that I was wrong in the labeling and over looked another number and letter. Again as follows.

CWC
17 C8
C3 D3
EP1

Does this change make anything more clearer to anyone?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I bet its a Comp 280H. Check with your local machine shop to see if they can do a cam doctor on it or at least measure the lobe lift.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
When you put the cam in and line up the dots, be aware that on a Chevy that is not TDC compression. Rotate the crank 360 degrees (cam dots will be 180 apart) and then install the distributor at 10-12 degrees advanced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts