Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new harness for a 70 nova. I do not know what this wire is and where it goes. It is green and has a female end that has a shaped plug connector to it. It comes off the main light harness on the driver side just after the brown wire that connects to the proportioning valve on the brake master cylinder. It is green and has a type of sleeving over it, it is more of a grease sleeve as oppose to a heat sleeve.
Anyone know where this wire goes because I can not find anywhere to plug it!!!
any help is appreciated.:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi 70nova,

That sounds like the wire for the TEMP light switch. They're often dark green and are typically covered with a tar impregnated cloth sleeve. I checked the 70 Nova wiring diagram and the temp light wire is indeed part of the front light wiring harness (rather than the engine harness as it is on some other years & models of GM vehicles).

·
3,875 Posts
Just a thought... It may also be the wire to the horn. The temp sending wire is 20 guage and the horn wire is 14 guage. The temp sending wire can be traced to the fuse block and the horn wire connects to the horn relay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i will check both of those options out. Ray, is there not the temp wire that goes down on the pass. side of the engine, because i already have that one wired. it comes down with the wires that run down to the starter. Thanks

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
70nova said:
Ray, is there not the temp wire that goes down on the pass. side of the engine, because i already have that one wired. it comes down with the wires that run down to the starter. Thanks
Hi 70nova,

My 70/71 wiring diagrams only show one temp sending unit on the LH side of the engine. However, my 72-74 diagrams do show sending units on both the RH & LH side. The 72-74 diagrams are a little bit confusing as to what is standard vs. optional equipment wiring, but it appears to me that the separate LH & RH sending units were only used on cars with both TCS (transmission controlled spark) and the optional RPO U17 gauge package. It looks like the sending unit on the RH side is a switch that is connected to the TCS solenoid with a 20ga dark green wire. It looks like the sending unit on the LH side is a variable resistance unit that is connected to the gauge with another 20ga dark green wire. It also appears that cars without gauges used a dual terminal unit on the LH side with one terminal wired to the TCS and the other to the TEMP light.

Although it is not shown on the 70/71 diagrams, they may have used a similar setup. If that's the case, the sending unit on the RH side is most likely for the TCS. While the sending unit on the LH side would be for the TEMP light or gauge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for that detailed info, I am sure it will prove helpful this weekend when I get back at putting the front end back together. Then maybe wirth some luck, HA! like i ever have any with the nova I will be able to fire up the fresh 350 I rebuilt. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts