Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973 Nova
I think this may have ben part of a switch that aluminated a light on the dash that indicated the parking brake was on? I got the car with an aftermarket dash...no blinker or high beam indicators.

I will check the wiring diagram for tan wire
It is mounted , well sorta mounted it really just hangs out, near the parking brake.

Attachments

·
6,523 Posts
You have what is left of the emergency brake switch.

Here is one from a 74 which should be the same:

Basically in your dash, the "BRAKE" light bulb would get a key switched 12V to one side of the bulb and then the other side of the bulb goes to the bulkhead connector to where there on the interior side a tan/brown wire then goes to the interior emergency brake switch and then on the engine side of the bulkhead connector a tan/brown wire out of it goes to the proportioning valve brake switch.

This is on my 68 and while electrically and mechanically it works the same, it mounts differently and has a different electrical connector on it.

Jim

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim,

I'm guessing when the PO replaced the e brake cable he either broke or discarded the rest of the switch. I also note the metal grommet you show in the floor for the cable...well I don't have that either.....

When you set the brake the metal makes contact, completing the circuit, lighting the lamp?

What about the proportion valve? I have a wire in there.

·
6,523 Posts
Thanks Jim,

I'm guessing when the PO replaced the e brake cable he either broke or discarded the rest of the switch. I also note the metal grommet you show in the floor for the cable...well I don't have that either.....

When you set the brake the metal makes contact, completing the circuit, lighting the lamp?

What about the proportion valve? I have a wire in there.
In my first picture, there is a zip tied tab on the part that the cable attaches to and this tab when the pedal is not depressed (emergency brake off) it pushes the switches plunger down and disconnects the tan/brown wire from ground. Normally the zip tie is not there but it was used to keep my parts together while things are apart so I'm not chasing down some small ignorant part.

Like I said, on the one side of the "BRAKE" light bulb in the dash, this one side of the bulb has a wire that goes to the emergency brake switch AND the switch in the proportioning valve and if either switch is grounded, and the ignition is on and power is on the other side of the "BRAKE" light bulb, then the bulb or light comes on. If neither the emergency brake switch or the proportioning valve switch is not grounded, then the light will be off.

I would be more concerned about getting the "BRAKE" light to work with the switch on the proportioning valve to alert you to hydraulic brake loss issues.

Jim

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,760 Posts
Custom Jim ,

u'r picture of the 74 brake switch ... ?

SO, with that zip-ty on that brake clevis ................ THAT is 2 PARTS ?

I must be missing the part that attaches on the 'clevis' .. that pushes on the switch.

Looks like your 68 is the same ?

I have everything --- my switch & light both work , it just does not "push on/against" the switch with-out that missing 'clip'. (so, mine is unplugged ).

Thanks Jim for u'r pictures

·
6,523 Posts
Custom Jim ,

u'r picture of the 74 brake switch ... ?

SO, with that zip-ty on that brake clevis ................ THAT is 2 PARTS ?

I must be missing the part that attaches on the 'clevis' .. that pushes on the switch.

Looks like your 68 is the same ?

I have everything --- my switch & light both work , it just does not "push on/against" the switch with-out that missing 'clip'. (so, mine is unplugged ).

Thanks Jim for u'r pictures
Yes, there is a tab that goes onto that area (as well as a small blackish colored U shaped clip to hold it in place) and I do not have any high res pictures of the 74, I do have some better shots of that tab or bracket on my 68:

You can see in the left picture the switch plunger has it's spring compressed and then there is no contact electrically of the tan/brown wire to ground to activate the indash "BRAKE" light and then the other shot has the spring de-compressed and the switch plunger is now moved and the tan/brown wire is closer to making the connection which if moved further would then connect it to ground to activate the light. I just didn't take a picture of the switch being fully extended but if you look at the switch closely in person you can see how the electrical connections would be made (and it's just like how the dome light switch in the door jambs work but with a very slight design change).

Jim

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Jim

See .... your pictures DO help & make things look correct.

(I always just thought the switch "pushed on the clevis" , but , just never lined up ) ( another problem solved).

again, Thank you for your time

jim

·
6,523 Posts
Jim

See .... your pictures DO help & make things look correct.

(I always just thought the switch "pushed on the clevis" , but , just never lined up ) ( another problem solved).

again, Thank you for your time

jim
Luckily I have what I have and find out, I still need to take more sometimes !!!!!!.

I guess too the older one gets and the more one works on things, the better one gets with knowing how things go together and I kinda wish I would have had a better camera back in the day and used it more when I was taking the one Spirit of America Nova I have apart as well as the one I took apart for use as donor parts. Oh,well.

Just like below, I took pictures of how this thing came apart and labeled the wires so that it was a TON easier to put back together.

Jim

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
hey .... Rupert,

I really wasn't trying to "Hi-Jack your post"

sorry, man

jim

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no problem,
You added to it
Now I have more parts to scrounge for....lol

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
no problem,
You added to it
Now I have more parts to scrounge for....lol

Thanks, buddy ...... that "Custom Jim" ...... he's th' Best ......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts