Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
What is the trick to installing the top piece of quarter glass trim? I'm talking about the top C-shaped anodized aluminum trim piece that sticks in the rubber glass molding. I can't get it to stay in place. It keeps popping off of the rubber channel. The front, bottom, and rear pieces are shaped differently, and are not a problem. The trim was laying in the trunk when I got the car, and after looking it over I think I see why. The C-shape has been bent. I popped the glass out Sunday to install the trim and tried installing it dry, and also with ever kind of lube I could find in the garage, kitchen and bedroom.
Anybody got a side pic of the trim so that I can see what the right contour is supposed to be?
Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I recently had my windows out. I'll take a stab at answering your question as best I understand it. As I remember, I think all three pieces have are stamped with an L shaped portion on the back side of the trim to fit into the rubber gasket. It's L shaped so it can act as a retainer once it's inserted into the rubber gasket-- so it can't pull off or fall off once the gasket & window are mounted back on the body. If your C shaped piece doesn't have an L shaped back that fits into the rubber gasket it should, so it doesn't pull out or fall off. Maybe the right angle was taken out by previous owner? Perhaps he removed it without first removing the windows and bent the piece in the process. Does this help?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Maybe you should go to a trim shop or glass shop and have them physically look at the parts and car to help you to determine what the problem is and how to get that moulding to stay on the car

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic to help clarify what I'm talking about:

The upper piece of trim is the one on the left in the photo. It resembles a 'C' if you're looking at a cross-section of it, which differs from the other pieces having an 'L' contour. It has been mangled and I can't figure out what the right contour is supposed to be to get it to stay in the rubber molding.
If nothing else, does anybody have a usable piece they would be willing to sell? This is the top piece of trim for the passengers side rear quarter glass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that explains a lot. I can see where the trim tabs have been broken off.
Thanks.
Que Sera, Sera.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts