Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What is the quickest way to add positraction to my car??? As you can see in the video, it needs it badly. Thanks!

GerryLP:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking welding and making the axle solid???

During my High School days, my buddy Gregory had a 69 Z-28 with solid axle. I liked it then, but what is the effect of a solid axle on the freeway at freeway speeds?

Thanks for the reply!:yes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was a joke, mini spool. But if you are going to use it on the freeway is better to do it the right way. Limited slip...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Mark Williams has a great mini spool set up I had one for years and drove it everywhere with zero problems.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
You want it quickly

Then my friend, get out your wallet.
A good 4x4 shop can install it in less than a day, but you need to find a shop that does differentials all the time. I did mine myself with new axle bearings too, and it was a multi day project. The time consuming part was getting the lash between the gears and the depth correct. I am fortunate to live just a few miles from Randy's Ring & Pinion where I was able to get replacement parts for the ones I messed up as well as some really helpful guidance.
I installed Richmond 3.73's on an Eaton Posi, although you can keep your gears and just change the carrier.
Let us know what you do.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then my friend, get out your wallet.
A good 4x4 shop can install it in less than a day, but you need to find a shop that does differentials all the time. I did mine myself with new axle bearings too, and it was a multi day project. The time consuming part was getting the lash between the gears and the depth correct. I am fortunate to live just a few miles from Randy's Ring & Pinion where I was able to get replacement parts for the ones I messed up as well as some really helpful guidance.
I installed Richmond 3.73's on an Eaton Posi, although you can keep your gears and just change the carrier.
Let us know what you do.
You know what? That is a good idea of keeping the gears and changing the carrier. I ei explore that avenue. There has to be one for sale somewhere. :D
Thanks!

The new J model C-130's use a thick grease to transmit the blade angle movements (instead of hydraulic fluid)... Maybe I can try that ha,ha,ha :D

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it looks like the cheapest 8.5 Eaton carrier I can find is $429. Scott, in New Mexico Gear and Axle changed the gears in my Corvette years ago, so his labor would be $340, this time around, if I want gears changed. A third less if I do not.

What do you guys think? Keep my 3.73 or go with a 3.42? Is it worth the change in gear for the added mileage in the highway? New 3.42 gears will cost me $219. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Well, it looks like the cheapest 8.5 Eaton carrier I can find is $429.
That is about what I paid on Ebay for my Eaton 30 spline I installed a couple months back.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Although its not in my Nova, I recently bought a 74 Chevelle Malibu Classic that has a small block 400 with some headers and a aluminum intake and quadrajet, it has a 3.08 geared ten bolt and had no posi, it was just ridiculous to drive because it would just broil the right rear tire at anything more than 1/3rd throttle at speeds below 30mph or so.

Soooo... My buddy lent me a ten bolt mini spool and I took a couple hours to put it in, which is easy as pie by the way. And now the car is a complete monster with a new attitude. In a good way!!

Yes it makes bad noises and hops the tires while turning sharply at slow speeds especially while turning while backing up. The mini spool has exposed all the worn out trailing arm bushings and bad shocks and worn out axle bearings.

But!! Hot Dang! is it ever worth it, the car is an absolute animal to drive and I feel twenty years younger in it and cant not grin from ear to ear while drooling when I stand on the throttle and the car comes unglued goes sideways, I let off slightly straighten out and hammer it again, it shifts to second both tires fry again and a second wave of awesomeisity in its purist form is laid out on the road ahead.

I say go for it! Spool that sucka!! Unless its a pure show car that you live in fear of scratching, your just missing out by burning only one tire.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A Powertrax unit is just as expensive as a posi carrier but all it does is replace the spider gears, so you dont have to remove the ring and pinion and bother with all those shims and stuff. So it is way quicker and easier to install.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
A Powertrax unit is just as expensive as a posi carrier but all it does is replace the spider gears, so you dont have to remove the ring and pinion and bother with all those shims and stuff. So it is way quicker and easier to install.
Used a Richmond Loc Rite in my S 10 7.5 diff.Very easy to install and no problems :)

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,536 Posts
I use to drive stock cars (circle track) back in the '60s & '70s. We would run a locked rear on dirt, as we were always crabbing or drifting the car in the turns, and a limited slip on asphalt. Believe me, if you lock the rear and drive on asphalt, the slightest amount of moisture or oil will break the rear loose and you'll be in serious trouble. I had experience with that and it was not pretty. When you go around a curve, one rear tire is always breaking loose at all speeds. If you only want to go straight such as a drag strip, then locking the rear will work fine. Driver beware, there is danger in locking a street driven car.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Are you talking welding and making the axle solid???

During my High School days, my buddy Gregory had a 69 Z-28 with solid axle. I liked it then, but what is the effect of a solid axle on the freeway at freeway speeds?

Thanks for the reply!:yes:

One word. NO

Not smart, not safe, there's nothing positive about it, it's a bandaid and a bad one at that. If you are going to do it, do it right which is going to take some $. There are a lot of things we thought were "cool" in high school but we learned later in life that it really wasn't. :D Quite a few now that I think about it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i say go with the eaton , and if anybody hands you a spool walk away , because sooner or later you will kill yourself our sombody else using it on the street

i allways found strange when i said no i would not put in for them they would get kinda mad at me , and then i would ask them where they got it , they would say i got it from a buddy , then i would ask what happened to his car , they then would reply oh he crashed

or they but so and so had one it was great , what happened to his car ?
"HE CRASHED IT''

as for the gear ratio go to randy ring and pinion and us the calculators

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/Calculators.aspx

for example a 26 inch tire at 70 is 3500 rpm with a 3.73

also think about frist gear ratio you want it around 9 or 10

so if you had a wide ratio super t-10 it would frist gear would 3.42 x 3.73 gear = 12.75
that would be great in a small dumptruck

meaning you would shift out frist on the street at about 8 feet off the line

and this all explains why i have a tko 600 5 speed and no longer a t-10

·
Registered
315 Posts
once again,
I put 30,000 miles on my 85 Toyota 4x4 with welded spiders and 33inch BFG's
It never failed or spun me out on long sweeping wet corners or in the rain,

Now my 74 Malibu has a mini spool, and I love and hate it, it sucks at slow speeds in parking lots or backing out of the driveway, but handles great at speed even in the rain. Yes if you power down in a corner it will slide, which I love. Sorry for being a drooling tongue dragging motorhead.

On that note I just finished my 3.73 geared Eaton Posi 12 bolt for the Nova and I'm sure it will be better than the spooled Malibu.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also I raced at Port Angeles Speedway (rest in peace), banked quarter mile paved oval, and most of the fastest cars on the track ran spools, and powering in the corners was not a problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts