Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the normal operating temperature of the front rotors under average driving conditions? I had a problem with the front wheels getting too hot to touch on my old Nova a while back (both sides). I discovered that the pushrod between the brake booster & master cylinder had rust scale. (I removed the rust with a scotch-brite pad & applied lithium grease.) It probably rusted because the car used to get washed several times a week (including under the hood). I think I have the problem resolved but I am feeling self-conscious about feeling heat in the front steel wheels after driving the car now. Disc Brakes use friction to stop a car and heat is a normal by-product. I just do not recall any mention of what an acceptable heat range was in any of the brake schools I attended or any publications I've read. I also haven't found any helpful numbers on the web. I have a brand new meter here with a temp probe & would prefer to confirm the temperature is at an acceptable range. I guess you get more concerned about these things when you kids ride in the car. Sorry for the long post.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts