Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 74 Nova that I'm slowly trying to make look good, I just got new bumpers but the inside of the old front bumper doesn't match up with the new bumper. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the part that bolts to the bumper, and then bolts to the frame. Does anyone know what this is called as I'm trying to buy a new one but I can't find one anywhere.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,064 Posts
I believe the part you're referring to would be the bumper reinforcement beam.

Item #18 on this illustration --> http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=88066

The original GM part number was 337470 but they have been discontinued for many years and are not being reproduced. It's also a 74 Nova specific part so finding a good used one may take a bit of searching.

Is your old one bent or twisted to the point where it's not lining up with the new bumper? If so, a shop with frame straightening equipment might be able to bend it back into shape.

Also, if your new bumper is a 73 style (with the wider air intake slots), it should still bolt up to the 74 inner reinforcement beam. But a couple of the bolt-in gussets (item #19 on the above linked illustration) will have to be removed because they will interfere with the slightly rolled in edges of those slots in the bumper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts