Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first build ever. I have my engine (mild 350 used from ebay) running, and I've installed new gauges. Now that I have gauges I'm wondering what the gauges should read?

I'm looking all over for good rule of thumb for engine temperature and oil pressure. My sensor is mounted in the passenger cylinder head. I've seen some threads say 210 is fine coolant temp in traffic, but no higher? Is that optimum? At what temperature should I start to worry about damage? I don't have a shroud yet, and my temp went up to 235 sitting in the garage in 50deg outside air temp.

How about oil pressure? I've heard 10psi for every 1000 rpm, is that true? What if I don't have a tach? What is optimum oil pressure, what are the limits high and low before engine damage?

It has taken a lot of work to get to this point and I don't want to ruin my engine, I'm really nervous to run the car without knowing the above answers, please help.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The optimum temp would be what ever your thermostat is rated up to plus 5 or 10 degrees. More than that, and your cooling system isn't functioning to the max. The only other variable is to where your sensor is mounted, intake or head. That can change the parameters some what.

Oil pressure...your thought is correct as it stands, but 10-40 range is "Normal" with the engine up to temp.
Every engine config is slightly different, and every oil type (viscosity) will change the pressures, but if you are with-in these figures you're fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maxturbo said:
The optimum temp would be what ever your thermostat is rated up to plus 5 or 10 degrees. More than that, and your cooling system isn't functioning to the max. The only other variable is to where your sensor is mounted, intake or head, That can change the parameters some what.

Oil pressure...your thought is correct as it stands, but 10-40 range is "Normal" with the engine up to temp.
Every engine config is slightly different, and every oil type (viscosity) will change the pressures, but if you are with-in these figures you're fine. ;)
thanks MaxTurbo. I edited my original question to show that my temp sensor is in the head between header primaries, and to state that I don't have a fan shroud yet. I feel dumb, but I don't even know what thermostat I installed, I just asked the parts counter dude for a thermostat for a 71 350 and I installed what he handed me.

Does it sound wierd that I hit 235 in the garage without a fan shroud? Or would that be expected without the shroud and should be fixed when I get the shroud installed? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yep. You need the shroud. Sitting still (no relative air movement) will drive up the temps with-out one.

The stock thermostat is more than likely a 195. You COULD go with a 180, but it won't help the lack of a shroud. ;)

You can pick up a shroud $58 bucks at places like this...
http://1962-79chevynovaparts.com/catalogPDFs/X2 03 cooling.pdf

After that, check your fan CLUTCH for proper operation too. ;)

Beyond that...unless the RAD is crapped up (or made for a six banger), you should be golden! :)

This is a good read!
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8287

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I think you'll find the answers in Best Of Tech.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Whatever. :rolleyes:

They still don't help him in troubleshooting his overheating problem or locating a fan shroud.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I tried a lot of stuff trying to keep my engine cool "without a fan shroud".The shroud is to help in cooling when idling or when going really slow. Some of the things I tried was going to a 6 blade flex fan [nope],changing thermostat[nope],electric fan[nope] because it wasn,t strong enough.Now I have a 2600 cfm electric fan and a Griffin aluminum rad....PROBLEM SOLVED.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Well I guess I've been lucky.(knocking on my wooden head:rolleyes: )..I use a 180 degree thermostat, 5 blade clutch fan, factory type 4 core rad, and dont run a shroud and the car could idle for over an hour(trust me I have done this many times over the years) before the temp would hit 200 and I have never seen it above 210. That is with the temp sending unit in the drivers side head. In traffic and driving around 180-190 is the range it is normally in.

Now with that said that was in Canada and normally the temps there dont reach the temps they reach here in GA. I have plans to add a shroud to the system when its all reassembled...I fully agree that you need a shroud...my car didnt have one when I bought it and since I didnt have a problem with temps I never thought about adding one.:)

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The oil pressure on my car (warmed up) is 20psi at idle and 40 doing 70mph

THe temp on mine (283) without a fan shroud and a flex fan (no clutch) is about 190 (195 thermostat) driving around in town and I hit 205 going down the highway. Dont think it helps but just alittle info

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Oh ya I forgot the oil pressure...Hot it would never go below 50psi and cold well lets just say it was a lot higher than that.:eek: :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts