Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide what would be better, smalll block or a big block? I have a 454 big block , but I can get my hands on a 350 really easy.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
For me a well built small block all day long. With 500 + hp on tap, oh what fun. If you read one of Paul Wright's posts he has a nice little slogan at the bottom that says it all.

Borrowed from Paul Wright:

Building a small, high rpm engine
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol..

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
For me a well built small block all day long. With 500 + hp on tap, oh what fun. If you read one of Paul Wright's posts he has a nice little slogan at the bottom that says it all.

Well, no disrespect to Paul Wright, but Indiana Jones did win every battle in the end with that "cheap pistol."

You can't ignore the elephant in the room.

There is no substitute for cubic inches.
Unknown.
*But also requoted by David Reher, National Dragster 2000

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
626 Posts
Second that on the cubic inches I got 540 a** kicking cubes :devil: small blocks run good and are cheaper but the torque of a big motor is pricless

·
Registered
810 Posts
Having run both,Il take that 454 if you dont need it:D.Truthfully no comparison I like that low end punch a big block has and not needing a high stall and tons of gear to get moving in a hurry. Even 400s and 383 strokers dont have the grunt a mild big block has. If you like high rpm a small block is your good buddy then:yes:

·
Registered
903 Posts
There's no replacement for displacement.

All things being equal, I would opt for the 454... 350's are great engines, and that's what I run, but they are a dime a dozen.

Just depends on what you want, and what you want to do wit it.

Mike

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I love a high reving balanced and blueprinted sb any day!
For sure, and plenty of low end grunt if built right. No heavy Pig blocks for me. With over 500 ft. lbs and 500 hp or better no problem spanking them old heavy big blocks.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts

His quote was meant to be "pro" cubic inches. If you can take down a highly skilled, refined sword fighter with a cheap pistol as Indy did, then why not go with a cheaper large inch motor when it can take out the high rpm, refined small block?:yes:

I've got a bit of money in my 406 and it does run well but I know that you could easily build a pump gas 540 that would easily make 200 more hp. It comes down to money and how fast you want to go or what your end goal is with the car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
well i love both ,but at the end of the day i like big block ,put two of to same novas side by side open the hoods a stock bb in one and a big dollar small block in the other no matter how much time you spend on it it still looks like a lowly 305, it may faster and lighter but in the its just another small block

i spent alot on my small block and it was fast ,i spent very little on my big block,but when you pop the hood what would rather see

you have tell people what you did too your small block

with a big block no words are needed !

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Yes, the pistol will beat the pocket knife!

In Colorado, you will need every last inch of motor to make power from all of that damned altitude.

For me, it's inches, but he may want to use that mouse, and save up for a blower. He'll need all the air he can squeeze into that baby.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah wat corners why ride around in a circle looking for the finish line when u can drive straight to it and very quickly with a BIG BLOCK! !!!

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
If you have big bucks then split the difference. Build a big inch small block...427, 434, 454. You'll get big block torque from an engine that weigh around 200 lbs. less than a big block. :yes::yes: But...it costs some bigger dollars. :D

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I am a huge small block fan but I think that the application is just as important. If I was building a first or second gen car I would go with a big cubic inch small block. If I were building a third or four gen car, I would go with a big block. I had a 63 with a big block, even with the Alston front clip, it was a pain in the a** to work on. I now have a 434 small block in my 65 and it makes plenty of power, fits a whole bunch better, and is 50/50 on the scales. Jus my .02, Sean

·
Registered
700 Posts
I am a huge small block fan but I think that the application is just as important. If I was building a first or second gen car I would go with a big cubic inch small block. If I were building a third or four gen car, I would go with a big block. I had a 63 with a big block, even with the Alston front clip, it was a pain in the a** to work on. I now have a 434 small block in my 65 and it makes plenty of power, fits a whole bunch better, and is 50/50 on the scales. Jus my .02, Sean
i agree with that small blocks look lost in gen 3/4 but just right in 1/2

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
i agree with that small blocks look lost in gen 3/4 but just right in 1/2
I beg to differ....

I had a 66 and it was a pain in the arse to work on in that cramped engine compartment.

That's one of the reasons for me going 3rd Gen again. I've got more room to work on a small block than ever before. Yes, if my car came equipped with a BBC, I would rebuild it but, BBC = big bucks to build. My 355 with the overdrive and 3.73 will do nicely for a cruizer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts