Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as far what interchanges and does not and also what are 4th gens notorious for having problems with

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Well, there are many. I'll try to list what I know but you might want to PM Philip (that's his username).

Anyways

1. The dashboards from 75-76 are slanted, 77-79 are more of a boxy rectangle shape

2. If your car has A/C I do believe the A/C set up is different than that of a 77-79

3. Usually all interior parts interchange. Except the dash that I mentioned above.

4. ALL exterior parts interchange depending if you have a 2 door, 4 door, or hatchback. Grills from 1975 required certain brackets which are also the same as a SS/Rally grill which was also offered in 1975. Grills from 76-79 could vary (Concours, Custom, or SS/Rally). I had a Concours which we did a front end swap with and the bumper filler was different. Tail lights also interchange for the exception of the Concours lights that had 3 bars instead of 2.

I hope I put that in the least complicated way possible :eek: if you need pictures let me know.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx

thanx man i lookin at buyin a 79 for a daily all original driver but some time down the road it will become my parts car for my 75 how different is the a/c will it kinda fit or not a chance?

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
The entire AC set ups are interchangable the specific parts changed over the years. 75 -76 have an expansion valve type system and in 77 they went with an early CCOT system. I have a 76 I can snap some photos of and post along with the 77 set up in my car. The later set ups are easier to convert to 134A IMO.

The position of the rear brake hose changed around 77, from being over the center of the axle to attaching to the drivers side axle tube. At first I thought it was an 8.5" vs a 7.5" difference, but later it appeared to have been for both rear ends.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx

bout the ac my 75 dont have it if i do buy this 79 when it comes time to make it a parts car hope not in the near future will everthing go in the 75

and what are 4th gens notorious for having stuff go wrong?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am lucky

just bought a fully loaded w half *** workin a/c tonight a 79 2 door 115000 miles 1500.00 bucks pics soon no rust

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Rust. . . .

J
You aint kiddin, i have a 74' because my 78' rotted to much, one day i took a good look and my rockers had pin holes and my thumb went into the base of the windshield pillar. I still miss it, it was my first car and hotrod.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
thanx man i lookin at buyin a 79 for a daily all original driver but some time down the road it will become my parts car for my 75 how different is the a/c will it kinda fit or not a chance?
1979's have recangular headlights with unique fender extensions, headlight bezels, grille and front bumper filler. Other than that and the other differences listed above (dash, A/C, misc trim) they are basically the same from 1975-79.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts