Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you guys use as your insurance carrier on your Novas?? I need to get mine insured quickly as I have a limited amount of time to get mine inspected and plated. I am looking into "classic car insurance" but I dont recognize any of the names. Any suggestions???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,051 Posts
Haggerty, American Collector, and Grundy are all for collector cars. I use American Collector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
When my car was in one piece i had haggerty.Who ever you get read all the rules and regs.They have limited miles per year and some have more than others .Some limit where and when you can drive or park your car.My last co on my pro street 46 dropped me after 15 claimless years because i had "drag equipment" on the car.They complained about the wheelie bars and when i offered to remove them they wanted me to remove my headers(what hotrod aint got headers?),roll cage and wrinkle wall tires(dot approved)P$#%$d me off big time.Just know what u r getting cause they will take your cash but wont always stay behind you.Skull
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
928 Posts
Racinfan83 said:
Who do you guys use as your insurance carrier on your Novas?? I need to get mine insured quickly as I have a limited amount of time to get mine inspected and plated. I am looking into "classic car insurance" but I dont recognize any of the names. Any suggestions???
hagerty is pretty good, quick to approve the application, reasonable rates and from what i hear, good service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I had Hagerty but went with Grundy about half the cost. I've heard both companies are very good at paying out. Make sure you have enough coverage to replace your vehicle if you had to buy it finished.

Carl
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hagerty......zero deductible, agreed value, very little restrictions.........pays off like a slot machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
americangraffiti said:
Hagerty......zero deductible, agreed value, very little restrictions.........pays off like a slot machine.
What do you mean? A slot machine pays off rarely and without any rhyme or reason. Also, it is very risky to bet your life on the pull of the arm. I don't think I would want an insurance company like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input!
A word of warning to anyone else reading this thread - I applied online to Grundy because they were cheaper. On their app you have to list ALL liscensed drivers in the home. Of course, being honest, I listed myself as the principal driver, my wife, daughter, and son as liscensed drivers, and listed all our everyday drivers as proof that the Nova wasn't daily transportation. I got a return e-mail today turning me down because "they cannot insure drivers under the age of 25". I called Hagerty and talked with the guy about this and he told me they didn't have a problem with it. SO: I am in the process of filling out their online app now.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,051 Posts
I applied with on of the companies and they turned me down because of the roll bar in my car. Another turned me down because my car could be raced with the modifications I have done to it. Luckily you can't race stock cars and cars without roll bars are safer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
I use American Family for the house, normal cars, and classic cars.

On classic cars they have "show insurance." All you have to do is give them an apraisal, and a couple pictures of the car. They insure it for that amount, no other questions asked. If you total it, you get the amount. And it's like $120 a year, done deal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MarkM68 said:
I use American Family for the house, normal cars, and classic cars.

On classic cars they have "show insurance." All you have to do is give them an apraisal, and a couple pictures of the car. They insure it for that amount, no other questions asked. If you total it, you get the amount. And it's like $120 a year, done deal.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I have a pending app with Hagerty now. Thanks for all your input!
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
novaken said:
What do you mean? A slot machine pays off rarely and without any rhyme or reason. Also, it is very risky to bet your life on the pull of the arm. I don't think I would want an insurance company like that.
Ok, Novaken........I'll rescript this reply, just for you........they pay off like a 'loose' slot machine (very loose) (very, very loose).....Geez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
I have State Farm. They have a pretty low premium if you have historic plates. The policy for my 48 Jeep with an agreed value of $10K is around $100 per year. I tried to do the same with my Nova. Initially it worked, then the underwriter saw the pictures and freaked out over the roll bar and what he called a "Racing Engine" So now the premium is around $600 per year, plus their is a long list of exclusions on the back of the policy. I can get both of them insured cheaper from Hagerty, but I also have a large umbrella policy through State Farm. I dont know how dropping two cars will affect that.
Doug
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: I was notified today that I have been accepted by Hagerty. Thanks for all the suggestions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Doug Timme said:
I have State Farm. They have a pretty low premium if you have historic plates. The policy for my 48 Jeep with an agreed value of $10K is around $100 per year. I tried to do the same with my Nova. Initially it worked, then the underwriter saw the pictures and freaked out over the roll bar and what he called a "Racing Engine" So now the premium is around $600 per year, plus their is a long list of exclusions on the back of the policy. I can get both of them insured cheaper from Hagerty, but I also have a large umbrella policy through State Farm. I dont know how dropping two cars will affect that.
Doug
I have State Farm on my regular cars and Hagerty on the collector cars. I also have a State Farm umbrella policy and the only stipulation is that I keep a certain level of liability coverage on cars not insured through State Farm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
NovaDave said:
I have State Farm on my regular cars and Hagerty on the collector cars. I also have a State Farm umbrella policy and the only stipulation is that I keep a certain level of liability coverage on cars not insured through State Farm.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. I have not asked because my agent is also a good customer of mine, and sends me lots of refferals. So, I figured I would let things stay as they are. The difference would only be around $300 per year. It just ticked me off.
Doug
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top