Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what would happen if I ran 383 with a two barrel? I was wonderin because in Alaska I have to keep the stock carb intake, manifold and exhuast manifolds but if I rebuild it I want to put a 400 crank in ther but would a rochester two barrel support that many cubes? In theory I could just put some fat jets in it and it would work but how many things realy work in theory?

The reason I want to rebuild it is becuase the guy that had it before me wasnt a very mechanicly inclined person. As far as I know the oil didnt get changed except for maybe once a year and its got 107k on it so thats no good. The second reason is I'd like a little more low end torque and power in general (who doesnt?).

If I rebuilt this I was thinking new pistons, new crank, new cam and port my current heads. Then as soon as it doesnt have to pass IMs a new intake, new carb and as soon as I saved enough money some new heads and maybe some headers.

This is ONLY if that carb will support that many cubes. Well any thoughts on that thanks for all the help

thanks Justin

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
GM made 400 smallblocks with 2-bbl carbs, a 383 would function about the same.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Holley makes 500cfm 2 barrel carbs that are used on a lot of stock cars running BB motors...seems to work fine for them...:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah, if you wanted to stick with something that looked stock, I know Ferd for example, used 2 barrels on some big blocks, I'm sure Chevy did the same?? Ferd used some 2 barrels on 352, 390, 429 and I think 460s. I've never seen any 2 barrel big block Chevies, but I'm sure they made them if Ford did something equivalent in their luxury barges....Brett.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts