Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need headers for my 72 with a small block, i don't really want to go over $300, the shop just called me up and asked me what headers i wanted to go with. The car had flowtechs, but i wasn't really happy with them, oh and what primary tube size should i go with? (mild motor)

I need something that is ceramic coated, clears a power steering box, isn't going to be a pain in the %$! to change plugs and bolts and has decent ground clearance since my car is pretty low.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
since i was on a budget i went with the summit coated ones :yes: im in the processes of installing them right now :yes: look very nice imo and all ive heard is great things about them :yes:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had the ceramic coated flowtechs, they were ok, coating started to rust through at the collector kind of quick, but it was my daily driver then. I don't know if i should go summit or if i should do flowtech again, and i'm worried about the ground clearance.

Or should i look into shorty ceramic headers? These seem like they would be a pain for spark plugs and bolting on, let alone matching it up to my exhaust, but i don't know, i've never had experience with them.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
check out sanderson headers...novajoe is a dealer and can get you a deal.bm

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the flowtechs for the money not bad just not to happy with the rust after 2years old, I was going to get a set of Hooker Super Comps

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the cheap black summits....they where easy to get into place and plugs seem fine ..a couple are close but no problems. The slid right in without any issues from the bottom. The one problem is the last bolt on the passenger side is so close to the firewall I had to Mcgyver a wrench to tighten it and Im still not sure it is completely tight as I cant get a good grip on it, also a lot of the bolts are so close to the tubes it makes it hard to tighten those also.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i had to do that with my flowtechs and the wrench ended up breaking because i had to grind so much of it down to tighten the bolts, i'm not wanting to do that this time. any other thoughts?

If it were you guys would you just replace with flowtechs or go a bit cheaper with the summit ones which may have some ground clearance issues?

Guys with low cars, what headers do you use?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i like the look of the dynomax headers, did they fit with power steering and were any of the bolts a pain to get to?

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
I have Hooker Super Comp 1 3/4 inch headers. They fit well and are easy to get to the mounting bolts, but it can be a pain to change plugs until you get used to them. I use a spark plug socket with a wrench on the hex end of it instead of a ratchet. I can probably change plugs in ten minutes now.

I believe I had to put a slight dimple in one of the tubes in order to clear the PS box.

John.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i like the look of the dynomax headers, did they fit with power steering and were any of the bolts a pain to get to?
Yeah I like em too and they have a pretty good coating on the collectors, and inside of the tubes as well. I have manual steering, I did headers on my 74 camaro which has power steering (which has the same brackets just the steering box is in front of the engine cross member) I just had to make a spacer for the one bolt on the p/s bracket. The bolts on the rear are always a pain but I also have manual brakes, and heater delete so I had miles of room to work. I can get you some pics if you want. Ive had them on my car for 2 years now and they look great, but they have yet to see the street:(

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
heres some pics of my camaro p/s brackets

and the dynomaxes on my nova

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm definitely going to give the dynomax headers a shot, hopefully i'll be going with that wilwood master cylinder too

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
you wolnt be disapointed with the willwood m/c it looks awosome and the lid seals soo much better than the original ones

1 - 17 of 17 Posts