Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Both can be used.
The steel wire ring #1003 will indent the head more, meaning if it is ever pulled off the engine it may have to be resurfaced to ensure a good seal before it can be re-installed.
The copper wire ring will indent the head less, better chance or any repair work being able to just put a new copper wire replacement gasket in and go.

MLS, or a full copper(SCE or FlatOut) gasket almost eliminates the need for any resurfacing unless real damage happens.

· Registered
2,030 Posts
I've used the Victor Reinz 5746 gaskets two or three times. They have a 4.10 bore diameter, stainless steel fire ring, and a 0.026" compressed thickness. With my block decked to have the pistons 0.015" in the hole, this gasket gives me a pretty ideal quench area. And they are an OEM gasket, so quality is good. I've never had a problem with them, and I have aluminum heads.

· Registered
1,591 Posts
Most importantly go with the one that fits the chamber. Many times people worry about the bore and don't see that the gasket is too small for the chamber and the fire gets behind the fire ring and eats the gasket. Steel or copper, is up to you. I have run the steel rings for many years on my race engines and never had to resurface the heads because of it. And for a street car, I would expect it to come apart even less if not at all.

· Registered
920 Posts
That 1003 is whats recommended by AFR for their heads and I'm running the same steel ring style gasket,1014,on my 400. I've had the heads off that motor about 6 times for upgrades/repairs and the head surface was always perfect. They seal well,have good thickness for squish on a zero deck and are readily available at any parts store if you need one in a pinch so I'll vouch for the Fel Pro 1003.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
I've used numerous types including 0.020 steel shim gaskets for extra compression, I just copper coated them.
That's interesting that you can copper coat a steel shim gasket with aluminum heads. I wanted to run a steel shim and ended up going with 0.026" Cometic MLS gaskets, but they are expensive at around $100 each. If I ever have to pull the heads, I may give the copper coated steel shims a shot, or at least reconsider it. My concern would be durability. Can you comment on that?
I ran a solid copper gasket on my '47 Willys flat head 4 and one day had a coolant leak. With low coolant, a hot spot developed between the rear two cylinders and melted the copper. I decided to run a FelPro MLS steel ringed gasket after that. My thought is that steel is less likely to melt in those extreme conditions. I did run the copper gasket for several years before it failed.

· Registered
2,030 Posts
I've used the Victor-Reinz gaskets mentioned above on two or three engines, and always sprayed them with Permatex Copper Coat. I have at least 30K or 40K miles on the current engine with no leaks. Cast iron block, aluminum heads.

· Registered
257 Posts
That's interesting that you can copper coat a steel shim gasket with aluminum heads. I wanted to run a steel shim and ended up going with 0.026" Cometic MLS gaskets, but they are expensive at around $100 each. If I ever have to pull the heads, I may give the copper coated steel shims a shot, or at least reconsider it. My concern would be durability. Can you comment on that?
I ran a solid copper gasket on my '47 Willys flat head 4 and one day had a coolant leak. With low coolant, a hot spot developed between the rear two cylinders and melted the copper. I decided to run a FelPro MLS steel ringed gasket after that. My thought is that steel is less likely to melt in those extreme conditions. I did run the copper gasket for several years before it failed.
One of the reasons I used the shims, wS it gave me really good quench, around 0.037-38

1 - 19 of 19 Posts