Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know its a general question, and it might have allready been answered before, but what year used GM rear end housing am I looking for that I can swap into my 66 without crazy mods (Im a woodworker not a welder)?. 10 or 12 bolt, 9", I don't care, whatevers better than this 7.5 I have. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
If you have the original rear, it shoud be an 8.2" not a 7.5". If you don't have the original rear than I guess it could be 7.5".

The aftermarket sells 12 bolts, 9", and Dana 60s and maybe even 8.5" that are either cut down or freshly made to fit. Think Moser, Strange, Currie, as well as others.

To get a complete aftermarket, ready to bolt in, expect to spec $1,700-$3,000 depending on which you choose and how you have it configured.

Early full-size Ford rearends from the wagons or full size sedans are supposed to fit (1958-1960), but will need a re-fresh, gear change, brake change, new spring pads, etc, in order to install. If you are clever and do some of your own work figure this would cost $500-$1,200 without having to cut down the axle., but try to find one.

Likewise above for early Ford Bronco's, some of these are supposedly bolt in swaps, but you would likely still need a posi and gears as well as brakes.

One other option is a later model Lincoln with a 9" - some of these even came with disc brakes. Factory posi units and gear selection considered not too good for high performance. there is a guy out of Columbus who has listed these on E-Bay for $1,200-$1,500.

A couple have successfully installed 8.5" rears from Chevy S10s or Sonomas. 2 wheel drive models with the 4.3 V6 apparently had the GM 8.5" rear, some may have even had disc brakes. There is a seller on E-Bay out of Florida who has listed these for $800-$1,200 but as i understand it they are a little wider than the stock axle, which is already about .5 - 1.0" too wide.

Which brings you back to considering how much power you will be making and maybe considering upgrading your exsisting 8.2" with a new posi, gears, and Axles. This will cost roughly $900-$1,200. Check some other listings on this site as one of them has a link to a Chevy high Performance article on this very upgrade for a mid-eleven second nova.

By the way I am still running an 8.2" rear.

dan

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the original rear, it shoud be an 8.2" not a 7.5". If you don't have the original rear than I guess it could be 7.5".

The aftermarket sells 12 bolts, 9", and Dana 60s and maybe even 8.5" that are either cut down or freshly made to fit. Think Moser, Strange, Currie, as well as others.

To get a complete aftermarket, ready to bolt in, expect to spec $1,700-$3,000 depending on which you choose and how you have it configured.

Early full-size Ford rearends from the wagons or full size sedans are supposed to fit (1958-1960), but will need a re-fresh, gear change, brake change, new spring pads, etc, in order to install. If you are clever and do some of your own work figure this would cost $500-$1,200 without having to cut down the axle., but try to find one.

Likewise above for early Ford Bronco's, some of these are supposedly bolt in swaps, but you would likely still need a posi and gears as well as brakes.

One other option is a later model Lincoln with a 9" - some of these even came with disc brakes. Factory posi units and gear selection considered not too good for high performance. there is a guy out of Columbus who has listed these on E-Bay for $1,200-$1,500.

A couple have successfully installed 8.5" rears from Chevy S10s or Sonomas. 2 wheel drive models with the 4.3 V6 apparently had the GM 8.5" rear, some may have even had disc brakes. There is a seller on E-Bay out of Florida who has listed these for $800-$1,200 but as i understand it they are a little wider than the stock axle, which is already about .5 - 1.0" too wide.

Which brings you back to considering how much power you will be making and maybe considering upgrading your exsisting 8.2" with a new posi, gears, and Axles. This will cost roughly $900-$1,200. Check some other listings on this site as one of them has a link to a Chevy high Performance article on this very upgrade for a mid-eleven second nova.

dan
NO, 8.2 is fine, was just thinking about getting rid of this 7.5 (I had another post that explains it, it was out of an 80's camaro), so you can't just swap it for a 60's chevelle, camaro, nova, or closer modle year GM ??? Is that a stupid question, are they too big?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh, and as far as power is concerned, its just a 327 with an M-22, were not talking huge power (I already have the blown prostreet, been there done that) just a driver that I can romp on every now and then without the rear end exploding on me at the intersection.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I've heard that a Maverick rear end is almost a direct bolt in for a gen2 chevy II - finding a stong one might be tough though

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

dan
Here's the link to the 8.2 upgrade:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/driveshaft_rearend/sucs_0827_chevy_nova_rearend_build/index.html

·
Registered
21 Posts

dan
Could you possibly tell me which late model lincoln cars to check? Year and model?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I believe that the chances of happening to find a Verailles or Granada 9” axle are pretty slim today.. There are a number of aftermarket sources to get new pieces from that are already built for an early ChevyII. I know you’re building an LS engine for your 66 but your car should already have an 8.2 which is not a bad axle to start with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Early Ford Ranger 83-92 with the v6 had a 8.8 28 spline and 56.5 width. Could be a good fit for you. I would plan on cutting off the old spring perches and any other brackets and welding on new ones. But it would definitely hold up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Early Ford Ranger 83-92 with the v6 had a 8.8 28 spline and 56.5 width. Could be a good fit for you. I would plan on cutting off the old spring perches and any other brackets and welding on new ones. But it would definitely hold up.
Explorer axle even better, disc brakes and locker.

Cheers ian ??

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
I am running an 8'' Ford Maverick in my wagon. It's 1.5'' narrower than the stock one. Nice having a drop out 3rd member, 10'' brakes and the offset for wheels works out well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am not sure where you are located, but I have one of the Versailles rears in Indiana I would part with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts