Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
super_davecars said:
I have a 57 ford 9 inch rear with 11 inch brakes.I have the drums but no shoes or hardware.I'm having trouble finding shoes,local parts store did not have a number in there wagner book.The drums measure a little over 2 inchs wide so I put some 2 inch by 11 shoes off an old full size chevy car and they fit fine on the ford backing plates but the drums rubbed the shoes it liked about an 1/8 inch or less to seat on the axle.Does anyone have any ford brake info or sources and/or part #s for a 57/59 9 inch rear. Thanks
I had the same problem with an early Ford rear on the Durango Deuce so I went to the boneyard and got some 11x2.5's off a 70's Merc Marauder. I was told I had to send in the early shoes to have them re-built since there aren't any readily available at the store. I may still have the original drums and shoes.
super_davecars said:
My parts guy at Orielly's found some brake shoes for me.They are Brake Best brand part # 55. He had them in stock for $14 and no core charge they are 1 3/4 x 11 inch shoes.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Bronco rear

While out yesterday afternoon fishing at a private lake,I saw a early model Bronco(like a 1966?) in a field that had been gutted however,it still had the rear end under it.It was across the fence line and I couldn't get to it to crawl under.
Isn't it ture that a early model Bronco 9 inch is the same wigth as a 66 10.2 rear?If this is true,I guess I had better check it out.
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Bronco

They will drop right in. The down side is they are a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.
I didn't have a single bite fishing in this lake,but maybe it wasn't a total lose after all!
I'll check into this!
Mike

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Don't they have more offset than normal? It seems to me the center was way off to the passenger side; or was that just the vans? They are pretty narrow though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Don't they have more offset than normal? It seems to me the center was way off to the passenger side; or was that just the vans? They are pretty narrow though.
I thought most 9" housings offset the pinion gear to the passenger side quite a bit, more so than the 12bolt, Dana 60, etc...

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I thought most 9" housings offset the pinion gear to the passenger side quite a bit
That's not what I mean, if you look at an earlier Ford van, the axles are like WAY shorter on one side--some guys used to just buy a second drivers side axle, and narrow the other side to match. It's been a long time since I was around a Bronco, maybe I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's not what I mean, if you look at an earlier Ford van, the axles are like WAY shorter on one side--some guys used to just buy a second drivers side axle, and narrow the other side to match. It's been a long time since I was around a Bronco, maybe I'm mistaken.
Offset to clear the transfer case on the bronco?
just so theres room for the front and rear driveshaft...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
66 bronco rear.

the bronco 9 inches are centered and will work but the 66 is a small bearing very lite duty axle and not sure its worth the hassle to put it in a nova. I have owned a few and always traded out the axle for a 76-77 large bearing heavy duty unit or a dana 60 cut down.

·
Registered
218 Posts
5 lug rearend for '62 Nova

Is there a "bolt on" 5 lug rear end to fit a '62 Nova (other than a early Nova rearend) ? Relocating spring perches shouldn't be too hard.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Is there a "bolt on" 5 lug rear end to fit a '62 Nova (other than a early Nova rearend) ?
I don't think so. Hopefully, someone will come along presently to say otherwise.

Relocating spring perches shouldn't be too hard.
Great, then making a detailed tutorial for us should be a snap, hint, hint. :D

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I've heard that Maverick/Comet rears bolt in. Some even came with 9".

·
Registered
818 Posts
An early Bronco will also bolt in, but has a 5x51/2" bolt pattern. Not positive, but theoretically a 69-70 Mustang is a bolt in. Remember the non-GM rear ends have a different bolt patterns.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I would stay away from any rear end that is wider. The early Novas are already tough to fit bigger tires under with the correct rear.

·
Registered
218 Posts
thanks guys for the info..I'll put it in my memory bank when I make another trip to the junkyard. It is @75 miles each way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rear ends 62-67

Anybody here using an S-10 and or Ford Bronco 9" posi/rear end in there 62-67 nova. And if so how much HP do you have in front of it?
I,m aware of the versailles rear but looking at these for now. thanks

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.