Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wasn't there somebody that had a bet with his friend to build 307 vs something on a budget??? I did a search but didnt find it. What happened with that?

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
if your talking about the build where i wanted to build a 307 to 300 horse with under 1k I am still collecting money to begin. right now i am still jobless so no major mods yet :( but I have gotten on an exhaust and headers since then :devil:

but heres the link to it

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115329

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naw somebody had a bet that he would build a chevy 307 and his buddy had a chrysler that he would build a destroked 318 or something?

·
Registered
379 Posts
It was me. We are still working on it. I've got the block machined and crank and rods. My buddy has his motor ready. We are both neck deep in so many projects that its taking a while. He is trying to finish his 66 imperial crown. I'm hoping I'll come across some 307 forged pistons. I'll post some updates with pics soon.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You're not going to find a forged piston for a 307. If you want to spend $750 for a set, Egge will make them for you. If not, here's what you do. Get a set of forged pistons for a 283. Then use a set of stock length rods for m a 400 SBC (5.565"). deck the block .015-.020 and use a set of steel shim type head gaskets and you're good to go. And BTW, since you don't have the pistons yet, you can't have the block machine work finished. You need to measure the pistons for the cylinder clearance, and know what rings you're going ot run to set the proper hone on the cylinder.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're not going to find a forged piston for a 307. If you want to spend $750 for a set, Egge will make them for you. If not, here's what you do. Get a set of forged pistons for a 283. Then use a set of stock length rods for m a 400 SBC (5.565"). deck the block .015-.020 and use a set of steel shim type head gaskets and you're good to go. And BTW, since you don't have the pistons yet, you can't have the block machine work finished. You need to measure the pistons for the cylinder clearance, and know what rings you're going ot run to set the proper hone on the cylinder.
The block has been decked and bored, not honed, it's been align honed and has srp main studs. I also filled it to the bottom of the freeze plugs first. I have a stock crank that is machined but if I come across a large journal steel 327 crank I will go that way. The budget part of this build has went to the dogs. I have already called ROSS about a set of pistons, expensive but if this thing ends up with a turbo like I plan, I'll need them. I'm also now going with a hyd, roller.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If you're going that route, and adding a turbo, I'd forget all about that hydraulic roller and go with a solid roller. The small engine is going to make power in an rpm range the hydraulic rollers won't like to go to. Even a mechanical flat tappet cam would be better in your application. My naturally aspirated 307 (the last one I built) made power above 7000rpm, a hydraulic roller isn't going to like that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah I definately thought about that. I will know in about a month where I'm gonna be with this project. Until business pics up I'm on lockdown as far as buying any parts.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
solid roller i'd donate

i'd give ya a solid roller i've kept for years just to see the 307 beat the Fiat, opps , i meant chrysler ,, i think its a Crane , 256/266 on a 106 , 625 lift i think ,,, got it in a trade ,, never used it

if you find a large journal 327 forged crank , consider yourself the most luckiest person in the hot rodding industry ,,,

from what i've saw 350 cast cranks take as far as punishment goes , i wouldn't worry about taking a cast 3.25 crank to 7500 at all

here is a KB 283 piston with a decent dome, i'd guess it would be close to 11-1 with a 64 cc head using the 400 rod combo
http://kb-silvolite.com/performance.php?action=details&P_id=41

1 - 9 of 9 Posts