Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob with no experience here. I have a 72 nova. I rebuilt a 5.3 LM7. Has a 228/230 112 LSA cam with comparable pac springs. Currently wearing a truck water pump and alternator bracket to match. It was bored over 20, flat top pistons, @10.2:1 compression ratio, 862 heads. Has an Edelbrock proformer rpm intake and a 4150 Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb (was on my 396 and is definitely too big for the 5.3). The engine is installed and running. I have a new fuel tank with an internal walbro pump, filter, pressure regulator, and a fuel return. I do not have the efi intake, rails, injectors, etc the engine came with. I was going to make this look as close as possible to a sbc but have changed my mind. I do want to go efi however I do not want a throttle body efi system. This car will be mostly a cruiser with occasional spirited driving and burnouts and will not be raced. Budget for efi system is @ $2,500 (but would like to do for less if possible).

Given I have a truck water pump (which I will probably have to change) what efi system should I go with? I also will install power steering and a/c. What do I need, probably best to ask what don’t I need? I want it to look nice and would prefer to have a polished aluminum intake. What size throttle body? What size injectors? I would prefer some kind of package rather than piecing it together.

Any and all constructive responses are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add that I want to maximize horse power, performance, drivability and gas mileage. Also the cam rpm band is 1,800 - 6,500

·
Registered
23 Posts
Noob with no experience here. I have a 72 nova. I rebuilt a 5.3 LM7. Has a 228/230 112 LSA cam with comparable pac springs. Currently wearing a truck water pump and alternator bracket to match. It was bored over 20, flat top pistons, @10.2:1 compression ratio, 862 heads. Has an Edelbrock proformer rpm intake and a 4150 Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb (was on my 396 and is definitely too big for the 5.3). The engine is installed and running. I have a new fuel tank with an internal walbro pump, filter, pressure regulator, and a fuel return. I do not have the efi intake, rails, injectors, etc the engine came with. I was going to make this look as close as possible to a sbc but have changed my mind. I do want to go efi however I do not want a throttle body efi system. This car will be mostly a cruiser with occasional spirited driving and burnouts and will not be raced. Budget for efi system is @ $2,500 (but would like to do for less if possible).

Given I have a truck water pump (which I will probably have to change) what efi system should I go with? I also will install power steering and a/c. What do I need, probably best to ask what don’t I need? I want it to look nice and would prefer to have a polished aluminum intake. What size throttle body? What size injectors? I would prefer some kind of package rather than piecing it together.

Any and all constructive responses are greatly appreciated
Confused. You do not want throttle body, but then you ask what size throttle body? Do you mean you do not want a TBI type setup? If so just get a LS6 intake or 04 GTO intake (same) or Dorman.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just buy OEM stuff. If you have room for the truck intake manifold pick one up, they are cheap. Get some bigger injectors (to help compensate for the cam and mods) and run that. There is also a FAST intake manifold (expensive) and the LS car intake manifolds you could run too just not sure they work with truck water pumps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confused. You do not want throttle body, but then you ask what size throttle body? Do you mean you do not want a TBI type setup? If so just get a LS6 intake or 04 GTO intake (same) or Dorman.
Sorry about that...this is all new to me. Yes, you guessed correctly that I meant TBI. Thank you very much for your input. I’m going to look into this :yes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just buy OEM stuff. If you have room for the truck intake manifold pick one up, they are cheap. Get some bigger injectors (to help compensate for the cam and mods) and run that. There is also a FAST intake manifold (expensive) and the LS car intake manifolds you could run too just not sure they work with truck water pumps.
Thanks for your response! Has anyone got a truck intake under the hood of a 68-72 Nova? I’m a noob and thought they didn’t fit (I do have a 2” cowell hood though)? I guess I’ll have to measure as that would be the best way to confirm and wouldn’t create problems with my water pump and so forth. I’ll look further into this :yes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size injectors would you recommend? Are the injectors in a stock LS car manifold the right size? Thanks again and sorry for the multiple posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts