Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just pulled the trans, and the engine is comming out tomorrow.

I am putting in another TH400 w/brake and 4500 stall converter

447" 427 Big Block
Changing cam to solid roller .660/.666 lift and 254/260 @ .050 on 106
Changing 290 cast oval port for 291 cast rectangular port 2.25/1.880
Compression is 10.5-11.0 I think it's closer to 11.0(after heads come off I can re-calculate again)
750 Proform and Victor Jr.
All the same MSD stuff as before

275/60/15 M/T ET Street Radials
No Cal Tracs yet but full length CE slappers
90/10's and Moroso Trick Springs in front 50/50's and multi leafs in the rear
3480 w/o my fat ***** @ 250 and dropping.

I wanted to run it prior to this but trans has a bad center support bushing and a vibration and I didn't want to trash the case and/or blow trans fluid all over the track and end up in the wall or something. I think it was a low 12 secod car. I can't wait to see what it will do when I am done. Hopefully it'll be a runner in a month or 2. It is my 1st trans rebuild, and I hope it works ok.

Let me know what you think.:turn:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I'll guess 11.0, if you can get it to hook :yes:. I've got 235/60 MT street radials and slapper bars also. Sometimes it hooks, but the last 4-5 runs the tires break loose I sit there and spin before it finally hooks. And this is launching just off idle. My 60 ft times are all over the place. When and where are you going to run it? I'd like to make it out when you do. You should sign up for LA Invasion Memorial at Fontana.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If it's set up correctly, I don't see why low 11's to high 10's aren't a reasonable guess. But, you don't have enough carb (IMO). If you use the formulas that are pretty much accepted to find cfm needs, then a 7000rpm 447cid engine at 95% VE would need a 860cfm carb. If I was primarilly concerned with how it performed on the track, I'd get a 950 carb and let it eat. Also, that engine is going to want a 2 inch header, if not 2 1/4. You're engine is pretty close to mine in set up. I'm at 440cid, witha 249/255 @ .050 solid roller, with a Victor JR., 850HP, 2 inch headers, 10.5 compression, and 049 ovals with 2.19/1.88 valves. Hopefull should be dyno'd within the next month. I'll let you know what it liked.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
umm

i bet its going to really have a ton of bottom end with a cam that small. I think i'd look at something bigger to maybe shift the torque curve up to help with traction which will prolly be a tough situation anywayzz. I think i'd put a 850 or bigger on it too, maybe even one of those 850 or 950 VS carbs so it won't hit as hard coming out maybe

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunatly I will be stuck with my 1-7/8" headers, 750 and slappers for a while. I will most likey doing my 1st runs at Irwindale, I'll let you know when. It will be at least 2months out.

This cam is bigger than what I currently have it is a stump puller now. And I do want to get a 950 and at least the 2" headers. Ok and the Cal tracs, split monos....And the list goes on.:rolleyes::yes:

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
11.0's shouldn't be a problem. what will be a problem is what's mentioned previously - traction. and safety gear...

it's about time you got to racing that thing. let us know.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
We could guess from one end of the spectrum to the other...Chassis tuning is a huge factor no matter what engine/trans combo you have. Take it to the track, run it, stay safe, have lots of fun, and let us know. :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
it's about time you got to racing that thing.
Man I would have been doing that a year ago but the vibration in the trans was not good. And I have been tapped for cash. But thanks to a friend and a few side jobs...Things are lookin up!:yes::D

Don't worry I'll definitely let you know (I'll need a support team):eek:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
i bet its going to really have a ton of bottom end with a cam that small. I think i'd look at something bigger to maybe shift the torque curve up to help with traction which will prolly be a tough situation anywayzz. I think i'd put a 850 or bigger on it too, maybe even one of those 850 or 950 VS carbs so it won't hit as hard coming out maybe
:rolleyes:

People go 7.50s on that tire. In a N/A application, it's TORQUE and average power that separate the cars that "work" and run an impressive ET for the given combination from the cars that make you say "that's it?".

My small block makes a ton of torque...I also have Mickey Thompson drag radials

No traction issues here:confused:

In fact, I find myself going the other way...Currently fabricating travel limiters to keep it off the bumper:no:

Denny, you're on the right track. Big Blocks aren't really my thing, but I know enough to get me by. If you haven't yet purchased any parts and you want big block advice from someone who's gone low 10's with a setup similar to yours in a 3900lb car, let me know, I'll send you his way.

Oh and regarding your headers...The same guy did it with 1-3/4 primary tubes on an 11:1 468 :D

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Joe,

Hook me up with your BB buddy. I already have some parts, but nothing that can't be returned or exchanged.

Denis

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Novacain's buddy will get you headed in the right direction IF you LISTEN to his suggestions and not believe all of or most of the information spewed all over the internet. His stuff runs GREAT for what it is, as does Joe's.
Exactly! Thanks Mark:D

Denny, I will be PMing you and answering you suspension questions shortly.. I'm at the shop playing on the computer between jobs..Back to work:turn:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
thats gonna be ,,

:rolleyes:

People go 7.50s on that tire. In a N/A application, it's TORQUE and average power that separate the cars that "work" and run an impressive ET for the given combination from the cars that make you say "that's it?".

My small block makes a ton of torque...I also have Mickey Thompson drag radials

No traction issues here:confused:

In fact, I find myself going the other way...Currently fabricating travel limiters to keep it off the bumper:no:

Denny, you're on the right track. Big Blocks aren't really my thing, but I know enough to get me by. If you haven't yet purchased any parts and you want big block advice from someone who's gone low 10's with a setup similar to yours in a 3900lb car, let me know, I'll send you his way.

Oh and regarding your headers...The same guy did it with 1-3/4 primary tubes on an 11:1 468 :D
looks like to me , its gonna be a big bore 427 , which i've saw many 427's spin to 8500 and last for years with stock dimple rods. Cost as much for a roller set up thats gonna go to 7000 or so as it does 8500. If your gonna go to rectangular port heads , hey go for some RPM as well or it might be faster with the oval port heads.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i can hear it now

eh ,, maybe i shouldn't take this one so personal ,, but i can hear them now ,, " well my 427 small block runs faster than that big block " . Of course a small block enjoys a lower reciprocating weight of the internals , but where the big block could really come to the front is with the great flowing rect. port heads here. Yeah i know some small block heads prolly flow just as well.

I miss the days of 427 big blocks that did get rung out to 8500. I used to love to see a big block car and a small block car in the last round that ran similar et's. One scheme of thinking against the other. Was even better with a 355 with a 4 speed against a big block automatic.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
looks like to me , its gonna be a big bore 427 , which i've saw many 427's spin to 8500 and last for years with stock dimple rods. Cost as much for a roller set up thats gonna go to 7000 or so as it does 8500. If your gonna go to rectangular port heads , hey go for some RPM as well or it might be faster with the oval port heads.
eh ,, maybe i shouldn't take this one so personal ,, but i can hear them now ,, " well my 427 small block runs faster than that big block " . Of course a small block enjoys a lower reciprocating weight of the internals , but where the big block could really come to the front is with the great flowing rect. port heads here. Yeah i know some small block heads prolly flow just as well.

I miss the days of 427 big blocks that did get rung out to 8500. I used to love to see a big block car and a small block car in thelast round that ran similar et's. One scheme of thinking against the other. Was even better with a 355 with a 4 speed against a big block automatic.
Yeah, that's a great idea...Spin a street car with low gears and a "tight" converter up to 8500. You'll shift at 8500 and maybe hit high gear before the 1/4..yep, that's efficient.. I shift at 6600, cross at 7100. My heads flow a lot for a 23* standard runner SBC head..But it's not about the flow.

Everyone always has these miracle stories about the "good old days" where they spun everything to 8500 rpm with stock parts...What they don't tell you is that it broke every other pass:rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a buddy that has a 283 in his 66 chevy truck all stock bottom end with camel hump heads we took it to 8500rpm every day for a year just about! till it broke a pushrod! Ran 15.2 in a long box with a truck 4spd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts