Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting ready to run my 72 down the strip today but noted a faint blue tinged smoke coming from the left exhaust pipe as I was getting ready to leave. Anyway, I pulled all the plugs on that side and found the plug on cylinder 2 to be really oily.(almost fouled) I pulled all the other plugs and they all looked fine. The engine is a 290hp GM crate engine about 2 years old with maybe 3000miles on it. Any ideas as to what is going on? Think it could be a valve seal? This engine was properly broken in and not beat on so I am at a loss as to what is going on.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
:eek: yeah so i spell wrong sorry guys ............... its not tare its tear oops thank god sns doesnt boot me for having bad pronounceations <------ i think thats how its spelt :yes: :turn: :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
There is a very handy spell check built-in up in the upper right side.
I'm wondering how the number 2 plug made smoke on the left side of his engine?? I keep number 2 on the right of my Chevy's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys,

Just ran the car about 25 miles and pulled the plugs again. Cylinder no 2 is pretty oily (still firing though) but the rest of the plugs look fine. Engine seems down on power to me too. Think it could be a valve seal? (probably not as that would be too easy) Time to pull the heads I guess and take a look at what is going on. Maybe it is time to upgrade to better heads and a new cam. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hey guys,

Just ran the car about 25 miles and pulled the plugs again. Cylinder no 2 is pretty oily (still firing though) but the rest of the plugs look fine. Engine seems down on power to me too. Think it could be a valve seal? (probably not as that would be too easy) Time to pull the heads I guess and take a look at what is going on. Maybe it is time to upgrade to better heads and a new cam. What do you think?
when was the last time you changed you spark plug wires maybe the number two wire is producing a weak spark

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
There is a very handy spell check built-in up in the upper right side.
I'm wondering how the number 2 plug made smoke on the left side of his engine?? I keep number 2 on the right of my Chevy's.
i know mike but my brain keeps me away form that spell check thing. if your looking at the motor from the water pump #2 is on the left side now if your behind the flywheel looking towards the front bumber than yes it is on your right side .......... but what do i know i cant spel :eek: so i guess i cant be trusted :devil:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
It would be hard to feel the power loss from one slightly leaking valve seal. If it is a valve seal, they can be changed without pulling the heads. As a matter of fact with the correct tools they can all be changed in a couple of hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts