Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy in Cali is giving me a radiator. He told me he buggered one of the trans cooler fittings. Maybe it's just me but I can't see any threads left in the hole. Any great ideas on how to fix this short of pulling the tank and replacing the cooler? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth shipping or not. :(

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Simple solution: use the radiator but skip that trans cooler and use a separate external cooler instead.
x-2 funny i did the same thing , so i got a real nice external cooler ( does a better job anyways) and all is fine. some of those trans coolers in the radiators are not very good anyhow. i think my external cooler was only 45 or 50 bucks..

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree with what has been said - bypass the intank cooler and use a quality external cooler.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Using an inverted flare to AN fitting, slip fitting in the hole and weld it in. On the top one, screw fitting into hole, convert the cooler lines to AN and have a nice clean install.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
i vote aftermarket trans cooler.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a fan of running an external cooler only. I know a lot of people do it, I've done it in the past. Not one OEM manufacture does it, Jake over at Jake's Performance says it''s a no no and that was enough to change my mind.

I talked with another buddy and he's going to weld a AN adapter (as I discussed with Philip) when I get it out here. I still have to change the lines but that was on the to do list anyway. I found out today the radiator is getting a free ride from Huntington Beach with a friend of a friend. You just can't beat free on top of free. :)

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Not a fan of running an external cooler only. I know a lot of people do it, I've done it in the past. Not one OEM manufacture does it, Jake over at Jake's Performance says it''s a no no and that was enough to change my mind.

I talked with another buddy and he's going to weld a AN adapter (as I discussed with Philip) when I get it out here. I still have to change the lines but that was on the to do list anyway. I found out today the radiator is getting a free ride from Huntington Beach with a friend of a friend. You just can't beat free on top of free. :)
I have a 2006 dodge dakota v8 and had transmission problems at 60,000 miles. Took it to the dodge dealer where I bought it from new. They said the transmission is fried due to overheating. So they replaced the transmission and added a external trans cooler. Now im at 160,000 no problems. Also my sister has a 2005 mazda tribute that came from factory with an external trans cooler.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2006 dodge dakota v8 and had transmission problems at 60,000 miles. Took it to the dodge dealer where I bought it from new. They said the transmission is fried due to overheating. So they replaced the transmission and added a external trans cooler. Now im at 160,000 no problems. Also my sister has a 2005 mazda tribute that came from factory with an external trans cooler.

If you look they still use the internal cooler too. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts