Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned up my black plates today, so I threw the front one one to see what it will looks like.

I just cleaned them. I don't want them nicer than the car, so I wont restore them.

I'm waiting for the Pomona swap meet next month to buy a 67 sticker. then its off to the DMV.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Nice!! :yes: What did you use to clean it?

·
Premium Member
3,684 Posts
Just water and a rag, then waxed them. they look really good in the pic, but show the 40 years of wear and tear.
Dave, it's called character, the plate has character:yes: not wear and tear!:D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
looks good. i have a rear plate on right now that isn't registered to anything. i have my temporary registration sticker that's supposed to go on the back window, but how does that work if it's a wagon? these cars definitely look better with black plates. did you do all the paperwork?

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks good. i have a rear plate on right now that isn't registered to anything. i have my temporary registration sticker that's supposed to go on the back window, but how does that work if it's a wagon? these cars definitely look better with black plates. did you do all the paperwork?
I have'nt done anything yet to get them on the car. I need a 67 sticker first appearently.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Temporary Operating Permit mounting location

The plates look good, a whole lot better than the reflective plates. Take a look on the back of the temporary operating permit, you can affix in one of three places.1)Lower right hand corner of rear window,2)lower right hand corner of the windshield,3) rear side window behind driver. The permit requires that you carry the confirming letter with the vehicle. The confirming letter also has your Black plate sequence on it as well. Nothing to show that you can't use your black plates while waiting for your permanent registration stickers. Bolt it on!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't have a confirming letter. Actually all I got was the temp registration paperwork that's valid for 90 days. Maybe the person screwed up? She talked to her manager a few times during the process to see what to do. Great...

·
Registered
535 Posts
The confirming letter is basically a temporary registration card. It is like a receipt for your transaction. You should have received it along with the Temporary Operating Permit.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would think that you can't operate the vehicle on a public roadway, legally. If they didn't take away your old plates and your old registration, you could use your old plates until the new registration sticker arrives for the black plates. If you wanted to use the black plates without a registration sticker or a Temporary Operating Permit, you risk being pulled over by the law. Carrying the Confirming letter might get you off the hook if you said that the DMV took your old plates and you thought that it was better to use the black plates rather than none. Make sure that the confirming letter has your black plate configuration listed .

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
So I should have gotten 2 different papers? My temp registration has my old sequence on it, not my black plate sequence. But everything was photocopied and sent to sacramento

·
Registered
535 Posts
I received a Temporary Operating Permit, for the window that expires in three months from the transaction. I also received a receipt of the transaction, I believe that is what the DMV calls it. My black plate number is printed on it as well as the fees associated with it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well, I guess I'll just pray everything was done correctly. We will see in 90 days or less. I just don't wanna go through the dmv again if she screwed up.

One thing I notice about the front plates that are this old is that some of the road chips go through to metal and may not be able to be rubbed out. That's why I got the new plates for my 69 nova. Look perfect. Dave, your car looks much better with the correct plates on it.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I guess I'll just pray everything was done correctly. We will see in 90 days or less. I just don't wanna go through the dmv again if she screwed up.

One thing I notice about the front plates that are this old is that some of the road chips go through to metal and may not be able to be rubbed out. That's why I got the new plates for my 69 nova. Look perfect. Dave, your car looks much better with the correct plates on it.
my front one has a lot of rock chips, but nothing that damaged the metal, just chipped paint.

but i like the patina.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I just found a second papere flying around my car, the "suspense customer copy" that has my WGNBLUZ sequence on it, not my new YOM black plate sequence on it. Does this mean that they screwed up? The suspense reason is "inventory to be issued". Is the inventory my black plates? I filled out the YOM form and they photocopied my plate as well. I retained the custom plates, and I think that confused the lady. Great...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts