Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 1970 Nova released the 5th week of September 1969. It's a number matching CNJ block 300 HP 4 speed.
There are missing parts, namely the M21 transmission and the build sheet. What is stumping me is the rear end also coded 09/30(1969).

It is code CBM, which would indicate a 3:31 open axle. However it bears the cast#: 3969341NF and contains a positraction ring and pinion coded 9/41.
All the web disinformation indicates the rear: Code CBM 09 30, is a 3.31 open differential.
But the housing is cast: 3969341-NF, which according to NovaResource - Nova Rear Axle Codes (and Chevy by the Numbers, Alan Colvin) indicates this axle housing was only used in applications above 3.90:1.

If the GM crew voted to strike on 09/24/1969, Wednesday, what might have have happened the week after?

The build date of my 1970 Nova SS / 4 speed is 09E, per the cowl tag. The rear end date code is: 09/30/1969, ie: week 5, or by Tuesday. The block is similar (at the machine shop)

What really happened?
Why would my car be "unidentifiable" (on the internet) when I have the original engine block and rear end?

I've shown the original block with original number matching VIN code. If you have my matching transmission case, a Muncie M21 code P09P, contact me.

Attachments

·
12,896 Posts
First, I know nothing about the UAW strike in 1969, but the 09E is the Fisher build date of your car's body, not the production date of the finished car. Generally, the difference in the body build and production dates is just a few days. During periods of labor unrest and strikes, this can become many weeks . You would need to know the actual date the finished car rolled off the Chevrolet production line to really understand what might have happened. There was no requirement for build sheets to be placed in cars, so without other original factory documentation it may remain a mystery.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts