Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because Calvert doesn't put two shock mounting "ears" on their lower spring plates, my existing shock bolt it too long to tighten up properly.

For those of you who've installed a set, what did you use for a lower shock bolt?

Thanks!

-Wrecks :D

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I just used what I had laying around the garage and got some rubber shock bushings from Advanced Auto Parts for a few bucks. Mine's been holding up fine after two years of track abuse.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DriveWFO said:
I just used what I had laying around the garage and got some rubber shock bushings from Advanced Auto Parts for a few bucks. Mine's been holding up fine after two years of track abuse.
No problems with the bolt threads tearing up the shock bushing? That would be my only worry.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
could you not go to a place that supplies fasteners and get a bolt with a shoulder on it so you dont have to worry about the threads......also you might want to have something a little better then a bolt you just had laying around...I always thought, however being a lemming I could be wrong;) , that you wanted grade 8 bolts for suspension pieces:)

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
69NovaSS said:
could you not go to a place that supplies fasteners and get a bolt with a shoulder on it so you dont have to worry about the threads......
That was my plan so far, but I thought I'd ask before going to the hardware store to find a stubby 7/16" x X? shoulder bolt.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
NovatoriusWrecks said:
That was my plan so far, but I thought I'd ask before going to the hardware store to find a stubby 7/16" x X? shoulder bolt.
the hardware store will likely work but I bet there are industrial suppliers in your area that specialize in fasteners that will have what you want and in the correct grade too...and very likely on the shelve....at least back home we had a couple of places like that...they were both chains....one was called Fastenall and the other Brafasco....possibly however they might be Canadian only chains...I dont know

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I didn't use a grade 2 bolt...I used a grade 5 or 8 bolt. Nothing special about the bolt other than that. Slapped a few washers on and the rubber bushings...

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
69NovaSS said:
Fastenall and the other Brafasco....possibly however they might be Canadian only chains...I dont know
Fastenal stores are down here. There's one a couple of miles from my house. I can give them a buzz and see if they have something that'll work.

I checked their website and 7/16" shoulder bolts don't seem to be available online there. If I get desperate, I could use a standard grade 8 bolt and cut a small piece of steel tubing to go inside the bushing to keep it from getting torn up by the bolt threads. Cheap man's shoulder bolt. :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
NovatoriusWrecks said:
If I get desperate, I could use a standard grade 8 bolt and cut a small piece of steel tubing to go inside the bushing to keep it from getting torn up by the bolt threads. Cheap man's shoulder bolt. :)
Yep that works....there was a few of them on my car from the previous owner;) :)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I used shock absorber mounting bolts--I have no idea where they came from. Most good quality shocks used to come with hardware for various applications. In the drawing below, the threaded portion on the left goes thru the traction bar hole, and the shank on the right goes thru your shock.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the picture posted above ??? that item is made or packaged by "Help" and "Motormite" along with quite a few other brands... Pep Boys, Kragen... whoever... should be a stocking item...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts