Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Make sure he has a title...doesn't seem like he even knows what year it is.

Make sure you go check it out in person, kind of looks like an economy paint job which are the kind that usually have a bunch of bondo underneath. I am not saying that this one does, seems like a good jumping off point for the money worth going to check out.

Looks like there was a dog fight or something in interior.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
SEEMS LIKE A GOOD PRICE IF IT IS WHAT IT IS AND NOT A SCAM! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worries me that he doesn't know what year it is...it should be easy to find out

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Looks(can be deceiving) but for the price it looks really good. :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Lot's of red flags with that one I think. But it is cheap. Doesn't mean it's good. Remember you will put the $ in it one way or the other so walk that fine line between putting it out now vs putting it out later.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What kinda idiot posts a car for sale and doesnt even bother to look the year up? Maybe theres something I am missing, but thats going to decrease his bargaining power. Either way, if its legit, seems like a great deal, and the car looks really good. A fixer upper, but for 1300 what do you want? You could probably talk him down to 1000...Ill bet thats what he really wants to get for it anyway:D

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
HAVE HIM TAKE A PIC OF THE COWL TAG! :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Aggieblue - looks like a pretty good deal to me, as long as it's not stolen! As others have said, make absolutely sure that the VIN and cowl tag match the title. If the seller doesn't have a title in hand, walk away.

What kinda idiot posts a car for sale and doesnt even bother to look the year up?
The kind of idiot who thinks that Craigslist is the answer to every problem. Either I'm nuts or people are continuing to get more lazy by the day.

Don't get me wrong - for the most part, I like Craigslist! I've sold a bunch of stuff there. What I don't like is having to call people and pry details out of them. Some time ago, I was looking for a new daily driver. I checked Craigslist every day and, by chance, came across a car that had so many misrepresentations in the description that I wrote a nice little note to the seller with some ideas on how to improve the ad and maybe sell the car faster. The seller turned out to be a woman - and she came back with a very nasty reply accusing me of harassing her!!!:rolleyes:

I guess the person who said that "No good deed goes unpunished" knew what they were talking about!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Aggieblue - looks like a pretty good deal to me, as long as it's not stolen! As others have said, make absolutely sure that the VIN and cowl tag match the title. If the seller doesn't have a title in hand, walk away.

The kind of idiot who thinks that Craigslist is the answer to every problem. Either I'm nuts or people are continuing to get more lazy by the day.

Don't get me wrong - for the most part, I like Craigslist! I've sold a bunch of stuff there. What I don't like is having to call people and pry details out of them. Some time ago, I was looking for a new daily driver. I checked Craigslist every day and, by chance, came across a car that had so many misrepresentations in the description that I wrote a nice little note to the seller with some ideas on how to improve the ad and maybe sell the car faster. The seller turned out to be a woman - and she came back with a very nasty reply accusing me of harassing her!!!:rolleyes:

I guess the person who said that "No good deed goes unpunished" knew what they were talking about!
HAHAHA Well stupid gets defensive when it feels attacked. We cannot blame her feeble little mind, and I pity people who are quick to blow up on others like that, because shes hurting herself only. I walk away laughing and wondering:no:

And yes its strange, people on craigslist are lazy, half assed, and despite having junk a lot of the times they want fair market value. By fair market value I mean fair market plus 39% tacked on for the heck of it. Craigslist is great, and should continue to be unregulated, but people are and will always be dumb!

Sorry to jack your thread aggieblue! But yea if everything is good, Id say thats one hell of a deal! The only advice I could possibly tell you is to be aware of market value of these things, and the condition of the car that justifies the price. In this case, not knowing the year, Id say you have a pretty good upper hand. If they cant even run a search on the vin or look on the tags to see the date of manufacture, they dont want what its really worth anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted! I hope you can close the deal! Then we have a new nova to watch grow:D

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I'D AT LEAST GO CHECK IT OUT, IF I WAS INTERESTED! :yes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
look at the rear facing image... it appears the car has been hit and repaired. it looks wavy.

a careful & thorough inspection is imperative... might be a keeper, might be something to run from. inspection will tell...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there anything else that I should look at in particular? I did notice the trunk panel wasn't smooth.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well, what I would do, and this is subject to corrections and modifications by guys who know a lil more about a lil more than I do, but:

Take a magnet, wrap it in a thin soft cloth, and touch various parts of the body all over the car, especially in suspected damage areas. Metal attracts a magnet, bondo does not. This will give you an idea whats under the paint. Also, you might be able to look inside the trunk and see if a panel is dented in and rippled, if the damage is in that area.

Look underneath it at the suspension, all the bushings, check to see if they are worn and torn to peices, or if they look fairly decent. If the car is beat to shreads all the way around, rebuilding those components can get pricy to get the car how you want it. I couldnt drive mine for 3 years because my suspension was DUST! And I had a hard time dropping $2000 for parts.

Do a thorough electrical inspection and test all the lights, mainly outside, test all switches and levers, get a feel for what does and doesnt work.

Do a visual of all the fluids, inspect levels, condition, look at belts for wear and tension, check front tires for abnormal wear like feathering, spotted uneven wear, inner or outter wear. Grab the wheel and see how much play it has from side to side before the wheel starts to try to move the tires.

All these will give you a little idea of what you are buying. The body is an issue, but you can get a feel for how the car was treated during its past ownership by the mechanical condition it has been led into.

Motors, transmissions, suspensions, all can be replaced. Its how bad you wanna do it, and how deep your wallet is. Just remember, you can always walk away, and I promise you there will be another Nova somewhere out there for you.

Hope this helps without too much rambling. I would nit pick the crap out of that thing! :devil:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Is there anything else that I should look at in particular? I did notice the trunk panel wasn't smooth.

FOR ME IT WOULD BE WHAT I PLANNED ON UPGRADING ANYWAY. THE BODY CAN BE FIXED WITH NO PROBLEMS, RUST WOULD BE MY BIGGEST ISSUE, TRUNK & FLOORS MAINLY THEN THE OTHER OBVIOUS AREAS. REALLY IT DEPENDS HOW FAR YOU'RE WILLIN' TO GO INTO THE CAR AND WHAT YOUR BUDGET HOLDS FOR A MILD , MODERATE, OR SEVERE BUILD YOU PLAN ON! :yes:

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Well it's lumpy, lumpy, lumpy, and it's missing a bunch of parts but the asking price is something you can work with.

Yea the car needs a lot of resto work but if you can get it for between $750.00 and $1000.00, well what the hell can you buy for that kind of money?

I think it's something you can work with IF you get it at the right price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts