Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 hard top 327 and 3 spd on the column. I started a 4 wheel disc brake conversion that has morphed into a bigger project. I have the motor out and am considering transmission options. Im thinking of a late model 5 speed..

Its pushing 350 hp but will never see a drag strip. Just a fun driver.

I welcome all opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
clean ride welcome to steves im not a big fan on manual trannys for cruisers may i suggest a 700r4 or similar over drive automatic but if your flavor is to row the gears im sure the tremec 500 would be fine. www.keislerauto.com :yes:

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Not to change the subject but what wheels are those in the first picture, brand and size?

Thanks,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheels are 17X7 with 4" backspace. Tires are 215/45/17

Got them on the online auction site.

PM me if you would like any other details.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As long as you're not drag racing and shock-loading the trans, you could easily get away with a BW-T5 out of an '80's-'92 V8 Firebird, Trans Am, Camaro. World Class T5 is a good transmission, and it shifts beautifully - smooth, like butter.

Here's something to try: if you can get a T5 bellhousing from a 1983 V8 Fire-Trans-Am-Aro, then you may not even have to change your clutch linkage. The 1983 Fire-Trans-Amaro was the first year for the T5, and it had a bellcrank-style clutch linkage as well as the correct transmission tilt. In 1984, the Camaros, Etc. went to a hydraulic clutch actuation and so switched to a different bellhousing. So it's a one-year-only deal.

If you do it and it works, then show us pics!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Vic,

Is it possible to use the existing bell housing? Any idea on the dimensions compared to an M-20 or 21?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought a 91 V8 Camaro with 5 speed in it today for $300 bucks. Ive been going to the junk yards and couldnt find a tranny for less than $600. It runs and drives. Figured I couldnt go wrong for 300 bucks.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Don't mean to kinda hijack your thread, but I just finished mocking up a t5 trans and bellhousing from an 83 5.0 camaro. I am not to keen on the angle it sits at. I am trying to figure out how to maybe straighten it up a bit. opinions are welcome as well. Here are some pics of my mock up.

Todd F.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Thanks Vic,

Is it possible to use the existing bell housing? Any idea on the dimensions compared to an M-20 or 21?
That sure is a round about way of putting brakes on. Your stock bell and clutch linkage will work. Just need to make sure you have a 26 spline clutch. Another budget option that is a little stronger is a T-45. Keisler has them with a Chevy pattern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts