Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my next Nova project is to remove the swirls in the paint which are everywhere! However I have never done detailing stuff before so I will be starting fresh. I need to know what all I need to get started. Doesnt need to be brand specific but just the items I need to purchase for a full exterior detail.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
What you need

So my next Nova project is to remove the swirls in the paint which are everywhere! However I have never done detailing stuff before so I will be starting fresh. I need to know what all I need to get started. Doesnt need to be brand specific but just the items I need to purchase for a full exterior detail.
Is a buffer with a foam pad, swirls are caused by the wool buffing pads, the fibers heat uo, and actually burn the paint. SOoo get the mcguires polish, step 2 I believe, and a foam pad, and buff away until the swirls are gone, then wash the pad, apply some canuba or gold wax, and either buff or hand rub off, itll be beautiful
if your a novice at buffing, might have someone experienced do it, you can burn through the paint in a second

Steve

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is a buffer with a foam pad, swirls are caused by the wool buffing pads, the fibers heat uo, and actually burn the paint. SOoo get the mcguires polish, step 2 I believe, and a foam pad, and buff away until the swirls are gone, then wash the pad, apply some canuba or gold wax, and either buff or hand rub off, itll be beautiful
if your a novice at buffing, might have someone experienced do it, you can burn through the paint in a second

Steve
Thanks for the advice everyone!

For Steve, is it still possible to burn through the paint with the random orbital like the 7424? I had heard that was pretty much "idiot-proof"

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
You will NOT burn through any paint with a random orbit unit like the Porter Cable. My advice is to get yourself a Porter Cable unit with various foam pads and a backing pad with velcro hooks for quick pad changes etc. It was one of the best car purchases I've ever done.

Here's where I buy my detailing products plus there's a lot of great information on how to detail your car.
http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts