Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as I have stated in a few other threads over the past few days, I just bought a 62 Nova wagon over the weekend and I am trying to get a few things sorted out. So far you guys have been a tremendous help, I have learned a lot and have already ordered up some new parts.

The wagon is and will be my daily commuter. I travel about 75 miles a day and I take a canyon over to the coast so I am looking to make a fun, street driveable canyon carver. Soon I will be ordering the CBR 2" lowered leaf springs and some good shocks for the back. Up front the car has CPP Upper and Lower A Arms and the QA-1 Coil Overs that I will be keeping for now.

Now on to my next issue - the front end. Currently the alignment is way out and the car pulls to the left pretty good. As soon as i let go of the wheel the car changes lanes so obviously I need to get this fixed soon.

So I was hoping to get some advice on what to fix and/or replace up front judging from the pictures and knowing what my goals are. A few more things to note. I am planning on buying the CPP lowered spindles because the ones I have are hard to align from what other members have told me. Also I would eventually like to get the CBR rack and Pinion set up but I don't have the funds for that right now, but any modifications or upgrades I do now I would like to make them compatible, if possible, with the CBR set up.

More than anything I just need to get the front end so I can align it to make it safe and driveable. Anyways help me spend some money. :yes:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Congrats on the wagon. It looks like you have the standard CPP tubular control arms, aftermarket spindles, disc brakes, and coilovers (couldn't tell the manufacturer). The wagon has a power steering drag link, but a manual steering box.

I would start with getting the front end alignment set/checked. Also, be sure to check the ball joints for slop/wear. The CPP arms will not work with the CBR conversion. The CBR conversion is front steer, so the tie rod will hit the front tube on the lower control arm. Assuming the front end components are in good shape you should be able to make it safe with a front end alignment. Then start saving for the CBR components, which can be done in stages.

Walt

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I agree with Walt, we have a 1962 wagon LS2 powered CBR equipped daily driver, the CBR stuff is fantastic:yes: I have about 5* of caster and at 100+ MPH the car goes straight and feels safe:D the corning ability is fun and predictable :yes: so save your money and make the up grade you'll be very happy you did.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks VooDooII !! Is that your wagon on the CBR blog that was in the 2011 Super Chevy Suspension shoot out? Do you have a build thread of your wagon?

As I said my plan for now is the CBR 2" dropped leafs, and QA1 shocks in the back. Up front I am going to get the CPP 2" dropped spindles, do the Idler arm bearings, replace the balljoints and tie rods, and hopefully get a new swaybar. Eventually I will do the R&P

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
get rid of the cpp lock nut ball joints and get some made in the usa moog ball joints with cotter pins.....replace the sway bar bushings too.....to get more caster on your cpp stuff have the alignment guy shim the upper a arms...good luck and be safe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was timely feedback Batman - Just before I read your post I had I googled "caster" to understand what that was as it pertained to suspension so your advice actually meant something to me. I was planning on getting the Moog Ball joints but didn't know if it was necessary so It's good hear your input.

As far as swaybars go does anyone know if the CBR swaybar will work with out their rack & pinion set up? If it does I am getting one. :)

Well back to searching. I can't even count how many hours I have spent scouring these forums over the past few days - this place is a gold mine.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Thanks VooDooII !! Is that your wagon on the CBR blog that was in the 2011 Super Chevy Suspension shoot out? Do you have a build thread of your wagon?

As I said my plan for now is the CBR 2" dropped leafs, and QA1 shocks in the back. Up front I am going to get the CPP 2" dropped spindles, do the Idler arm bearings, replace the balljoints and tie rods, and hopefully get a new swaybar. Eventually I will do the R&P
Yes that is my wife's wagon, we have put 14,000 miles on it in a year and a half:cool: and plan on driving it into the ground. I would reach out to Chuck about the sway bar fitment:yes::yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts