Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will soon be in need of a new distributor to my '63. Right now Im running the delco window type single point dist and it works great. But I will soon upgrade the car with a new engine and I guess electronic is the way to go. An upgraded HEI would be my first choice but due to the lack of space between engine/firewall I guess I have to choose something else. I know that Dave aka Ignitionman build small body HEI's, but he seemed hard to get in contact with.

Any other stuff out there that really works?

Combo: Specs:
Engine: Chevy 350 bored .030 and stroked to 383
Rotating assembly: (Internal balanced)
Crank: Scat 3.75 stroke crankshaft
Rods: Scat Premium 7/16 ARP bolts I-beam 6” bushed connecting rods
Pistons: SRP forged piston & pins (inverted dome -16cc) around 9.8-10.2 cr
Rings: Sealed power 1/16 1/16 3/16 moly piston rings
Bearings: Clevite P rod & main bearings

Heads: Brodix RR 200 Alu heads with 64cc CNCd combustion chambers & 1.550 springs.
130 seat pressure 360 open .600 max lift
Intake Manifold: Brodix dual plane intake
Carb: Holley 750 HP carb

Exhaust: 1 5/8 under chassi headers connected to 2 1/2 dual exhaust (sidepipes)

Transmission: TH350 transmission with B&M Holeshot 1900 converter
Gears: 3.55 posi

Vehicle: 1963 Chevy II/Nova 3300 pounds with driver & full tank

///Yeah I know I haven't mention any cam above but thats just because I haven't made up my mind yet. I have an Isky 274 megahyd flat tappet on the shelf but I'm planning on getting another cam before firing up...

Your input are very welcome

Matt

·
Registered
573 Posts
Buy a MSD and you'll never look back. I've had six in Race and street cars and have neve had a problem. Check into a 6AL box also.

Carl

·
Registered
62 Posts
For a bunch less, you can use a Crane, Mallory, or Petronix module that replices the points set in your existing distributor. I have the Crane unit and it works great. No clearance problems with that and the install takes about 30 minutes.

Keith
64ssv84spd
:chev:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
Well, I really want something simple, the less stuff the less hassle... But Im not really into the aftermarket brands like mallory or pertronix. Maybe its just me, but I have had bad experiences with some of the aftermarket"junk" especially mallory distributors. Never run MSD, but I guess you could still trust them except for a few parts they make (or rather put their sticker on) :)

It seems like I will end up with a MSD unit and a 6AL box if nothing better show up along the way...

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
ive used the others listed and had problems with each. im a huge fan of MSD.. its a great product and they stand behind it!

·
Registered
710 Posts
You may want to look into the new MSD E-Curve. It's small, billet, and self-contained except for the coil. Can be used with or without an MSD-6A box (just won't have the multiple-spark w/out the box). I'm finishing a 383 fairly similar to yours and have been going through this same distributor debate. I have an HEI now but it's so close to the firewall it actually touches and I'm looking to upgrade. I like the E-curve because all you need to do is mount a small $40 Blaster SS coil to the firewall and hook it up to the distributor. The E-curve has many electronic timing curves (20 I think) and a rev limiter built in, both can be adjusted just by removing the cap. I haven't bought mine yet, but I'm 99% sure this it the way I'm going.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a MSD 6A with a Gm points distributor , advance curve kit and adjustable vacume advance . I have had good luck with this low tech setup . I have read that the points have a longer life with the MSD. I will be changing to a GM small cap electronic distributor when i install fuel injection

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Very happy with my MSD Pro-Billet distributor and Digital-6 box. Car starts in about 1-2 seconds of cranking and runs strong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MSD went through a problem phase but they seem to be back to the BEST status again. You don't need a box just get a ready to run distributor either mag pick-up or the e-curve and blaster coil. I run the mag pick-up and it's great but the e-curve sounds even beter.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
MSD pro billet, best thing I have ever bought for my Chevelle my nova on the other hand is runnin a GM HEI which works good for now but the MSD is the way to go bro...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Chevy2Fast said:
I have a MSD 6A with a Gm points distributor , advance curve kit and adjustable vacume advance . I have had good luck with this low tech setup . I have read that the points have a longer life with the MSD. I will be changing to a GM small cap electronic distributor when i install fuel injection
The points will live a lot longer with a MSD, as it is the current that kills them. When used to fire an electronic ignition the current is substantially less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts