Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 12 bolt in my 67 with these numbers 3852980N. Can someone tell me where this came from?

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet as I was cleaning off all the gunk and dirt and didn’t get to remove the old paint yet so I didn’t see numbers on the housing yet. I’ll post when I can see it.

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it wasn’t from this car. Did these years even come with a 12 bolt?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
A and B bodies also got 12 bolt axles but they would have had bushing mounts cast into the top of the differential housing.. Also, 3/4 ton trucks got 12 bolt axles but they are a bit different from passenger car versions.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Those carrier casting numbers shown above are not the numbers you would find on the outside of the cast centersection....those are the numbers that are on the positraction differential ring gear carrier inside the housing. Only useful for when you are loking at used stock posi units at a swap meet or salvage yard, so you don't get stuck with a 2 series carrier when you are installing 3 series gears, or a similat 2 to 4 series or 3 to 4 series situation.
Again those are NOT the numbers on the outside of the housing.

I have not been able to find anyone who has a listing of Nova or Camaro leaf spring rear center section casting numbers like there is for the Chevelle 12-bolt.....at least not posted online.

Your number doesn't match any of the 12-bolt Chevelle numbers, so it didn't get transplanted from one of those...it is either an original Nova 1965-66 12-bolt transplanted, or a '67-69 Camaro/'68-72 Nova with spring perches cut off and moved and transplanted to your car. A third slim possibility is a narrowed and reconfigured Impala/Caprice 12-bolt...but it will have cast ears on the centersection also as an identifier

Look for the stamped application codes on the front side or bottom of the passenger side axle tubes, about 3"- 10" out from the centersection.
Another clue would be overall width, from wheel mounting face-to-wheel mounting face.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Further research through Google using that casting number leads back to 4 other threads from this site in the past, all indicating that castng number is 1966 Nova 12-bolt.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Further research through Google using that casting number leads back to 4 other threads from this site in the past, all indicating that castng number is 1966 Nova 12-bolt.
Correct on the next page it states 3852980N center section 65-67 Chevy II

·
Registered
1967 2 Door
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I measured it and it is 57.5” If it matters. I will try to get the other numbers On the axle housings.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You sure that isn't "BR" instead??

"BP" doesn't come up for that casting number but it may be a mis-stamp.
"3 13" is third month(March) 13th day.
"G" is Detroit Gear and Axle. plant

That BR or BP stamp would be the code for axle ratio and posi or not. "BR" is 1966-67 3.07 ratio w/positraction.

"BP" was used in 1968-69 as 2.73 open diff....but that contradicts your casting number and your width measurement that indicate pre-'68.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Your casting numbers 3852980N are same numbers on rear end out of my 66 and is original one that came in the car minus new gears and possi car had 5,000 miles on it when I got it
tube # FP 0118G with lower E

·
Registered
218 Posts
Might be that the die wasn't straight. Check out the 4 on my rear's stamping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts