Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wanting to know what parts from the 2nd gen f body for lowering my nova since i have found no parts what soever to do this in the nova catagory

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I found Lowering front coil springs and rear leaf springs... or you can do it the low-buck way and cut the front coils and install a rear lowering block between the rear leafs and mounting pads.

Eaton Detroit Spring Co. makes -1 & -2" front coil springs and -1, -2 and -3" leaf springs...made in the USA!
Click here: http://www.eatonsprings.com/75-79nova.html

How low do you think you want to go?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I really want is the front down a bit seems kind of high in the front and needs to come down a bit to level the car

·
Registered
190 Posts
lower a bit.

If it sits level and the springs seem fine just remove the front coils and cut one loop off and it will drop about 2" and handle better too, cheap and if not happy with it was free and can buy aftermarket at a later date.:yes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
lowering

the cheapest way would be heating up the springs a bit with the full weight of the car on them . there's a set on craigs list now massachusetts boston area . the guy want s over $200 for them

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Both cutting and heating springs will change the spring rate. Cutting makes them stiffer and heating makes them softer. The proper way is to replace the springs with some that will allow full travel with the proper rate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hotchkis looks like a good set so i may go the new spring route but if i cant get the funds i may heat em up but i have to get the front end down the car has good rear springs but the front looks as if its looking twords the sky

·
Registered
373 Posts
Go with the Hoctkis springs Philip posted. They are the exact same ones I have on my 78 and they put the ride height right where I wanted it. The hotchkis springs are a quality piece and you won't regret them.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I used the '70-'81 Camaro Eibach 2" lowering springs on mine. They didn't align with the grooves in my A-arms the first, second, third, or fourth tries. Plus, one end on the new springs was bent differently than the factory Nova springs. I ended up cutting a 3/8 of a coil and added a 1" aluminum spacer to get it to sit the way I wanted.

Ultimately, I'm happy with the ride height that I achieved, but the driving quality sucks. The steering is ambiguous, and while the spring rate is high, it doesn't feel "planted" like I think it should.

Disclaimer: My results are no fault of Eibach, I simply tried to adapt something, and it didn't work. For our vintage of Novas, adapting Camaro parts is a fact of life. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
190 Posts
to lower

Either buy new or cut them, when you heat them to collape them you lose the temper and it rides like S##t have done a few, at least if you cut them it is only the work and it will handle way better too.:yes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I used moog springs part# 5610 on my nova. They are a bit stiffer and about 1.5" lower than stock. The best part is that they are available at oreillys for less than $100 for the pair. :yes:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry i aint been on in a while we just had our baby

i would like to thank every one for their info and yes i have thought about big block to bring it down lol but the wife says no big blocks lol so have thought about it and i think i may cut em did any of ya have to use a spring compresser to get em out i know stupid question but hey worth asking

·
Registered
190 Posts
lower is better.

Don't need a spring compressor, just drop the bottom ball joint with a jack under it then lower the jack, just leave the jack snug only till you split the ball joint so it has room to move down then lower the jack slowly and pull spring out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts