Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive got a 71 nova with a 350 in it. I recently put a new 284/284 lift cam in it. ive got headers on it. and an eldebrock intake manifold with intake spacer and a 650 edelbrock carb. and an hei distiubuter running on an electric fan. what else can i do to get more power without spending a ton of money? (poor college student)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Back in the day before every thing cost you an arm and a leg we used to use a stock 350 with a set of double hump heads, 64 cc, alum. intake and a holley. Also used to change the cam up as well but didn't go too wild. The heads are the key to getting more bang for your buck. However these days I think those double hump heads have gotten pretty pricey. Back in the day we found a pair at a machine shop already done. The owner never picked them up for like a year and they were just ready to sell and recoup some of there money. $275 for the pair. Check out some local machine shops and see what the have. Other than that just keep eyes and ears open. Talk to everyone. you will find a set for a decent price.

It won't make it serious bad azz but it will give it a lift for reasonable dollars.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
then the next on the list thinking of all your components is a set of 64cc heads...

raise the compression, improved flow/breathing... more performance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
How much is a 'fortune'?

I've seen almost 500 HP on a streetable 350 with Enginequest 23 degree iron heads. They're fairly cheap.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Start playing around the internet.

Craigslist, RacingJunk, SNS classifieds, etc. are your best friends when building on a budget.

Swap Meets or a race track (during a race) are another great source for finding excellent performance parts on the cheap.

If you don't know what you're lookin' at, take a friend along that does.

Inquire at your local engine builder. Sometimes they have customers drop parts off and never come back or stiff the shop. Sometimes you can get a great deal when that happens because the shop just wants their money that they have invested and don't really care about the core part. That's how I got my World Sportsman heads.

Other times the customer changes things mid-stream and just wants to off their old ideas to fund their new ones.

Stay away from Evil Bay unless you want a good screwin'!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Will thats about all you can do with it without ripping the motor back down... or you could throw a blower on it, if the bottom can handle it....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have a Lo-Po Goodwrench replacement 350 that I'm putting in "Scraps" ( my 65) soon.
Since the motor was such a cheap buy and running when I found it, I'm simply going to throw a set of 2:02/1:60 mild ported heads (I have laying around), a mild cam /kit and headers. From what I'm told that will be good for 60-80 hp.

James

·
Registered
10 Posts
I say you put a 100 shot of Nos in it. Your motor should handle it with no problem. I had a farely stock 350 and handled a 150 shot with no problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was thinking about your question last night and today and had a thought. you have sort of a similar set up as mine. Although your dealing with a stock motor from what I understand. It really is similar to mine. Mine is bored 30 over though giving me 355. I run 9.6 to 1 pistons. They are after market and the motor was rebuilt with some good parts. But even at that your probably running similar compression. Only difference is mine is sporting a set of 2.02 heads with 1.6 roller rockers. They are 881 GM Iron heads ported and polished. Have no idea what they cost due to the fact I did not build it. The previous owner did. It definitely boosted the compression up to probably 10.5 to 1 or so. I also don't know what CC's they are. You could probably look them up in GM's site. The other thing that is a little different is I am running a Weinand Stealth Intake. Medium rise. Carb is a 650 holley DP. Cam shaft is a Comp Cams Extreme Energy 260-H Unsure of the specs. It's a tight built motor and runs great. Like I said it is a good built motor and all in all the previous owner spent around $2400 on it. Probably most of that is in the steel crank, pink rods, heads and the labor to build it. Previous owner paid a shop to put it together and that was included in the final bill of $2400. Less dollars could have been spent and achieved the same results or better. However the motor would not have been as tough in the bottom end. The motor comes alive quick from idle to 6 grand on the tach until you can feel it start to grab traction and nudges it's way to 6500 RPM's. Slap the ratchet shifter into 2nd and put it sideways a little again until it catches traction, not long after the shift, and your gone. Sure its not even a 12 second car but it is fun to drive. The Kids love to take rides in it cause it plants them in the seat. My guess would be somewhere around low 13's. Don't know cause I have not raced it yet. I don't have slicks and know I would never get traction at the strip. Previous owner did race it without slicks and it ran a mid 13's. Who knows, a little tweaking, slicks, and a bigger stall it probably could be in the 12's.

Change up the heads for sure. Next piece of advise is that if the car seems to have a sort of hesitation at full throttle from a dead stop. Throw in a slight stall converter. I run a 2800. It's not balls out but does the job.

Honestly, If I were to build a motor again. I know what I want. That is a stroker. I will deal with what I have for now enjoy the power it has and save my cash until I can do the stroker motor. No sense wasting dollars on something that is going to be changed up anyhow. Some day, if I don't sell it I hope to be pullin down low 11's high 10's. But I know it is going to take more dollars than I currently have to do it. That's what the piggy bank is for.

Hope that helps
That's my:2cents:

Speaking of taking kids for a ride. I have two daughters. One is 15 soon to get a license and the other is 12. I told the oldest that it was my dream to have her learn to drive it now and I would let her race it at the strip. I offered to take her out on some country paved roads and let her drive. She turned me down. Don't know about you guys but if my dad would have said that to me when I was 15 I would have been behind the steering wheel before he finished his sentence. He was not a gear head or a racer. I just started taking things apart and learning on my own. Boy he would get pissed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts