Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which buffer should be used for cutting and buffing out a new paint job? Rotary or random orbital? I tried using a porter cable orbital buffer with several different pads and compounds but none of them get the job done, still hazed finish and scratches. I wet sanded using 1500 then 2000.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
49 Posts
variable speed buffer on 1200 rpm... most paints state which compound and type of pad to use for cut and polish

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Buffer

If you have an air compressor, I like an air powered rotary because they are lighter and easier to control the speed. I like a wool pad for cutting and switch to a foam pad for final polish. Meguiars has some excellent products. They are supposed to have a new polish that cuts and polishes in one step, but I haven't tried it yet.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
You can't buy a buffer at Home Depot or Lowes. A "buffer" is variable speed so you can generate just enough heat but not so much that you burn through the paint. Don't use a grinder, they look the same but you can not adjust the speed and you will get into trouble in a hurry. I would not recommend buffing your car without some basic instruction or just pay someone to do it. By the time you buy a good buffer, pads, compounds, machine swirl mark remover, hand swirl mark remover, several grades of fine wet sandpaper, not to mention your time, you could have had it done properly without any paint damage. Most paint shops will not do it for you unless they painted your vehicle. However, some "detailers" are willing and able to do it. Ask them if they can buff black paint, if they say yes, no problem, they should be able to buff your vehicle without burning your paint.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a decent IR polisher. Purpose built for the task. No complaints with it. One bit of advice, keep it cool (the surface of the paint) with a spray bottle of H2O. It is a lubricant and keeps things cool, dont want to burn the paint. A spray bottle right there helps, keep it wet, really wet, dont want the compound to dry at all. JR

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guys. i had a feeling i was using the wrong type of buffer.
Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts