Chevy Nova Forum banner

What battery to use?

13K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  foose.novacaine 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what battery to use with a 383 stroker with 11.1 compression? Thanks for the help

#9 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Al's right...Optima is part of Johnson Controls, who also makes batteries for several labels (I have an old Wal-Mart Everstart battery that was made by Johnson Controls Battery Group), and many other companies are authorized distributors distributors for Optima batteries, as well as Interstate. Interstate is an independent company, not affiliated or owned by Johnson Controls.

Back to the original question...I try to find the group battery (size) for my application and then identify the battery with the highest cca and reserve for the price range I'm working within. As far as brands, I've always had good luck with Exide and Interstate batteries in the past. I've had two sets of Optima red tops that didn't last one race season, so it's kind the luck of the draw.

#12 ·
I've had two sets of Optima red tops that didn't last one race season, so it's kind the luck of the draw.
The reason I spent the money on the Optima was because they claim to be able to sit long periods without losing a charge.....2 weeks after buying it, the car wouldn't start!! Whenever I plan to drive the car, I turn on the charger for a few days prior.
The Interstate I was using came from Hot Rod while on the Power Tour; it was holding up the giant magazine cover next to my car....I was having electrical issues (42 amp alternator w/36 amp fan) so I took it with me and used it to jump start the car. When I got home, I still had the battery and used it for several years--I ran all day at Irwindale during a Summit race and had forgotten to turn my alternator switch on--never even noticed until I turned on the headlights that evening and they were brown! I ran the fuel pump, water pump and fan all day, and started the car many times without issue.

#13 · (Edited)
Battery!
The first question!

The best acid battery ever owned were (2) brands., Funny, made by the same company. Sears Die-hard Gold & AC Delco.
Ac Delco does have a corrosion warranty, the only battery company that does.

In marine application, the death of those batteries is vibration, separating the plates. I have never had a acid based battery last more than 3 years.
The best marine acid battery hands down was a AC Delco 27M they were the best until the optima.
And the Optima 5 yr replacement warranty is strong.

The best cranking battery in the boat I used was a yellow top. On a boat we are running equipment all the time, depth finders, GPS & radios are running non-stop. And in the middle of all this, crank a 275hp outboard.

I used 2 Blue top D27M batteries, these take a big hit. They run a 24volt trolling motor up to 18 hours a day, when I go to a weekend tournament, the batteries only get a 4-6 hour charge between those long days. No battery I have ever owned could keep up with this. In the old days I had batteries on charge all day and rotated them.

I have a red top in every car thats ever needed a battery. My son has his Yellow top that is 6 years old, he trades a car and keeps his battery. He has a stereo from hell!

I have a red top in the nova, no issues. ever. I do have a 5 amp on-board charger that I plug in during the winter.

One thing a Optima does, it's stays at capacity When it good it's good. When the battery gets week, it's done. When you run it down, it's down. Not like a acid battery that slowly goes down. When it good it's good.

I can only say what I have experienced.

Also, don't forget there are 2 battery company's with spiral technology.
NAPA Orbital, NAPA has a sale they do often on battery. You could save some money!

IMO
AL

#15 ·
yup, we see that a lot on those.

we use interstate here at the shop I work at. I buy the "blem" batteries from them for my cars. they are over a year old, so they cant be sold as new, but they come with the exact same warranty as a new one. plus they are half the cost. cant beat it :D

#20 ·
I have no experience with high dollar batteries. I run wet cell Auto Zone in several cars including the race car, Ozark in my boat now and they came from O Rielly auto parts, and so far all is good. I tired the Yellow top Walmart batteries in the boat and they lasted 24 months and 3 weeks and all 3 were junk and 3 weeks past warranty. I have an old Ever start deep cycle in my john boat that is 7 yrs old now and I can fish all day with it but the new WM batteries are all junk in my opinion. I have Trojan batteries in the golf cart.

#21 ·
I had a AC delco voyager deep cycle battery in my nova for 8 years!!! I used to drive the car alot then as I started racing it more it sat alot. I would charge it every 6 months and it would come back and work great. Even with 650cca it cranked my 13:1 406 with ease...battery cables were nothing special just what comes in the Mr.Gasket battery relocation kit. I also had a mini starter.

Im not a fan of Optima because every one that I've seen has taken a **** really quickly. I was wondering if anybody used those duralast batteries with good success.

#22 ·
Im not a fan of Optima because every one that I've seen has taken a **** really quickly. I was wondering if anybody used those duralast batteries with good success.
I ran a deep cycle marine Duralast battery in my race trailer for almost 9 years until it wouldn't hold a charge any longer (barely got my race car into the trailer the last time...phew!). Like Real McCoy mentioned, the older Ever Start Wal Mart batteries were/are great - 7 years and still going strong...luckily, I haven't had to get a newer one. I typically end up getting the battery with the highest cca and reserve within my budget regardless of brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.