Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm racing yesterday and it was hotter than hell. I am running second round of a 5.30 index class. I do my burn out which is a normal stop before the start line and my opponent does a hugh John Force burn out about 100 ft past the line. Many of the 5.30 people do these for whatever reason. I am 2 ft behind the beams ready to arm the NOS and set the bottle and he is just out there sitting on the track. One of his guys runs out there and it seems he can't back up. Several others as well as the starter go out and push him backwards. While this is going on my car is getting hotter and so am I. I give the starter a is he broke sign and he says no. So since he is back behind the line finally I purge and turn on the top bulb and wait some more. I fully realize the guy has issues with no reverse so how can he have a transbrake. I tell myself be cool and don't screw up but the car is hot and sweat is running in my eyes and I do the dumbass and redlight .007. The other guy has a .250 RT cause he was broke and had issues. I feel I got **** when his car went out past the line then couldn't back up in any reasonable time and people had to go push him back which burnt me down. Am I being a POS or do you think I have cause to be pissed? I plan to call the series promoter to talk about this tomorrow because I want to know the policy. We are running points and I am fighting for a championship. Thanks RM

·
Registered
457 Posts
John Force type burn outs are for *******s! Regardless, I have had things like this happen to me many times also, sometimes I would have the same result as you. However, if he is allowed to do this type of B/O, then that is the way it goes, yes, you are getting hot, but keep in mind, so is he, so neither one of you are going to run a good pass, you both are going to be off, so its better just to remain calm, make sure you dont mess up, remember, he is more distracted than you are because his car is now being pushed.
You didnt get burned, even though it is enough to piss you off, just have to deal with it. MY.02
Tony

·
Registered
192 Posts
You have a right to be pissed, however there might be some ways to avoid this. If you know the guy is going to do a past-the-starting-line burnout, then you should be allowed to wait to start yours until he starts backing it up. I know your concern was your hot motor, but people also worry about their tires in that kind of situation. I've had starters tell me to wait on my burnout in this situation and I've had the other racer come and tell me beforehand that they would be doing a long burnout. As mentioned before, some classes don't even allow this, but a lot of times it depends on the track and whether they choose to enforce it. Since you mention that a lot of racers do these burnouts, maybe you could ask your opponent beforehand if he is going to do a long one? Just an idea and my 0.02.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I hate that crap, but it's one reason I like my cooling system....I can sit there all day and idle. I would have burned the ***** down. Sitting in the car melting can make you do things you regret! When my car was black, it was a MOFO in the summer!!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
If you are running in a points series then you will most likely be racing many of the same racers. As mentioned before, you're going to have to keep an eye on who you're racing and what their routine is (i.e. burnouts, staging etc). Every racer has their own M.O. and paying attention to your opponent's typical behavior is one way to increase your chances of success. You may be thinking that you don't have time to do this but you should make time. By this I mean if you go out early (Rd1 or Rd2) don't just load up and go home. If possible, stay and watch the rest of eliminations. If you're not planning on running a race, try to go out to the track and watch part/or all of it as a spectator. If you're serious about a championship then doing the extra homework will eventually payoff.

As far as this particular situation, think of it as a good learning experience. The next time.... you'll be calmer, cooler and ready. A driver's best skill is learning how to be cool under pressure (with sweat in the eyeballs too!) haha

Bottomline: The Starter has final say. His decision is law. You can talk to track personnel but I would tread carefully. My thought is to wait a few days and see if you can get some perspective on the situation. You don't want to go in looking like sour grapes because you redlit. But asking them (calmly) what their usual protocol is on time allowances couldn't hurt either. That information may save you and your car in the future too.

Good luck at the next one McCoy!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My motor was fine, it was me inside the car that was bad. Full steel and aluminium interior, headers under your feet, trans and converter hot and the heat coming into the car, 100 degrees outside, the sun is shinning, I'm in a 2 layer firesuit, full face helmet with a collar and gloves sitting while they push this guy around. It's hard to think well and stay focused when you get hot like that. The guy running the water box always gives both cars the signal to start the burn out together since we are both door cars. If we werte running brackets he would hold the door car while the dragster did his thing. But I may just wait and always do the burnout last to avoid this crap if the promoter says it is OK for them to do a burn out across the line and push the car back. That is a good suggestion. RM

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I feel if he had to be pushed back then his car is broke and should not be allowed to race. I also feel that there should be a reasonable amount of time allowed to burnout and stage the car. What the rules are IDK.

Since they allowed him to race then there is not much you could do now. but right after you should have filed a protest if you feel you have been done wrong.

Just a side note, I believe that if you redlight a bye run you are still eliminated so that is where they can say you are done.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Joe...Unfortunately, you were at the wrong place at the wrong time, and got the short end of the stick...Nothing can be done about it now, best thing to do is learn from it and now you know how to handle it next time:cool:

I was pissed when I lost a final 3 weeks ago when they gave me the wrong dial in and didn't realize...Couldn't figure out why I felt like I smacked the tree and didn't spin, yet I was behind my opponent by a car and a half:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
they gave me the wrong dial in and didn't realize
I've saved a few racers from that. I shoot the starting line a lot, and if it's a car I'm familiar with, I tend to look at the dial-in's on the board, and if I see an incorrect number, I tell the starter. He really doesn't care, but he tells the tower to correct it.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
GEEZ Joe. Quit your bitchin. You've raced long enough, just like me, and you found another way to lose. I wouldn't have staged until he did first if it was me. With all the problems he was having, I would've let him sit and wait for me. The starter said it was a race. I would check and see what the rule is on someone pushing the car back and not under it's own power. If the car was hotter than the driver, that's when you need an alky carb and a good cooling system. Just relax and do your own thing. You've got to be patient. Or just shut the car off and wait for him. I run front brakes on my dragster and do a stationary burnout. The water guy knows this and holds me when I run another dragster and let's us both go when I run a doorcar. It's good to pay attention to the other racers in the class too.

And Ryan, if you get a bye run and go red, the green light will still come on if they have the tree in RACE mode. You can't have two redlights show in eliminations if the tree is in RACE. In TT the tree is in TT mode and shows two reds. Besides, if you redlight on a bye, you didn't race anyone and it's still a round win. My .02. Dave

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Dirty Moe is famous for this crap!
Same place you were.
They are also famous for protecting there own!!!

Heres a video of the same thing, we are staged and they are trying to read the guys dial in!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read the IHRA rules and pushing a car back after a burnout is legal as long as it is done in a timely manor. I guess the starter decides what timely is. I was the one cooking, my car was fine. I'll adjust my burnout procedure so this won't happen again. If you haven't raced a full chassis door car in 100 degree weather wearing a firesuit and full face helmet with a collar and gloves you have no idea how hot it gets and how bad that makes it to think well and focus. Life goes on. RM

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dirty Moe is famous for this crap!
Same place you were.
They are also famous for protecting there own!!!

Heres a video of the same thing, we are staged and they are trying to read the guys dial in!

Al, sounds like you was on the converter for a long time. Dont you guys practice courtisy staging? That was your bad! You should have only prestaged, then wait for him. Most Good tracks, and I say that loosly, have autostart, tree will not actavate until 3 bulbs have been lit.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was at Mooresville but this was not a Mooresville race and others were running the race. And they are good people who know me well and harbor me no ill will or anything. I just felt they made a poor decision but by the IHRA rules they did nothing wrong it seems. RM

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I was at Mooresville but this was not a Mooresville race and others were running the race. And they are good people who know me well and harbor me no ill will or anything. I just felt they made a poor decision but by the IHRA rules they did nothing wrong it seems. RM
I don't think any of them hate any driver.

they get hung up in the moment and not the complete deal and how it effects other competitors.

In all the racing I was in (in the Past) you had rules.

Now one burned out across the line. You did you were gone.

Some tracks would allow it. But you must backup under your own power.

I personally don't like the burn out across, it's not necessary.

Sorry I missed ya, I was going until the kids surprised me with a cook out for fathers day.

It's hard to be calm and keep your self in the game when it's a 105° heat index! I feel your pain. And these things always seem to happen at the worst time.

If they have a drivers meeting bring it up.

If they are going to allow them, tell the other driver before the round your not coming out of the water box until he's backing up.

Good luck
Al

From the few guys I have met around the PTRA they all seem nice. As most drag racers are.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Al, sounds like you was on the converter for a long time. Dont you guys practice courtisy staging? That was your bad! You should have only prestaged, then wait for him. Most Good tracks, and I say that loosly, have autostart, tree will not actavate until 3 bulbs have been lit.
he was staged first!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you are running in a points series then you will most likely be racing many of the same racers. As mentioned before, you're going to have to keep an eye on who you're racing and what their routine is (i.e. burnouts, staging etc). Every racer has their own M.O. and paying attention to your opponent's typical behavior is one way to increase your chances of success. You may be thinking that you don't have time to do this but you should make time. By this I mean if you go out early (Rd1 or Rd2) don't just load up and go home. If possible, stay and watch the rest of eliminations. If you're not planning on running a race, try to go out to the track and watch part/or all of it as a spectator. If you're serious about a championship then doing the extra homework will eventually payoff.

As far as this particular situation, think of it as a good learning experience. The next time.... you'll be calmer, cooler and ready. A driver's best skill is learning how to be cool under pressure (with sweat in the eyeballs too!) haha

Bottomline: The Starter has final say. His decision is law. You can talk to track personnel but I would tread carefully. My thought is to wait a few days and see if you can get some perspective on the situation. You don't want to go in looking like sour grapes because you redlit. But asking them (calmly) what their usual protocol is on time allowances couldn't hurt either. That information may save you and your car in the future too.

Good luck at the next one McCoy!

I agree completly. I make it a point to watch everone in my class to learn their technique. It will help alot in the long run.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I think somewhere in the thread I read the other car was a rail. If that was the case, they all burn out past the starting line because none of them can stop before it. I always let the rail do his thing first. It sucks having to wait for him to be pushed back but, I dont even start my burn out until he is backing up. Sean

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
In all the racing I was in (in the Past) you had rules.

Now one burned out across the line. You did you were gone.

Some tracks would allow it. But you must backup under your own power.

I personally don't like the burn out across, it's not necessary.

What Al says here is about the way it's always been for the tracks that I have raced at.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
SC heat

south carolina heat is the real deal. When i lived in FL traveling through SC ,, SC heat was always more intense than anything FL had.

wonder if you could get a retired helmet from a nascar team that has the cooling system to help with something like this

1 - 20 of 31 Posts