Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,923 Posts
Some models had a smaller chrome ring in the slots.

They were NOT made with any secret backspacing.:D And they don't make your car go faster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Thanks! I google image searched until I was cybernetically exhausted. An no redfaction, it's no joke. I just suck at research I suppose.

Does anyone know what options I have for "sprucing" these up without buying entirely new wheels? I'm considering painting over the blue with silver metallic rustoleum. I need to do something because I painted the car a different color from the wheels and I don't think I want to paint the wheels the new color.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Oh Thanks! I google image searched until I was cybernetically exhausted. An no redfaction, it's no joke. I just suck at research I suppose.

Does anyone know what options I have for "sprucing" these up without buying entirely new wheels? I'm considering painting over the blue with silver metallic rustoleum. I need to do something because I painted the car a different color from the wheels and I don't think I want to paint the wheels the new color.
They are usually referred to as 'Nova rally wheels' and are actually very common. I have seen many variations on the spelling of 'rally', including ralleye, rallye, and ralley.
http://store.coker.com/nova-style-rallye.html
If you want to spruce them up, paint them with argent silver wheel paint:
http://www.eastwood.com/silver-argent-rally-wheel-paint-set.html

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Best thing to do is sand blast them. Usually they're pretty gross and rusty after 30 or 40 years of driving and sitting around. An angle grinder with a wire wheel, a drill with a small wire wheel and a dremel with a sandpaper bit will also work, but is more abrasive on the metal than sand.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Have one of them Rallye wheels for a spare tire in the trunk of my 65. It's a 14" but with the 70 series tire it's similar in height to the lower profile tires on the car. The other good news is, it clears the CPP disc calipers, barely.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
IIRC, the ones without the factory chrome clips in the holes are narrower than the ones with the clips, and they're usually painted body color. The ones with the chrome clips are wider with less offset (more "lip"), and I've most often seen them painted black from the factory. The wider, clipped ones also seem to have a better, more glossy finish from the factory. Back in the day, I had a nice set of the chrome-clipped ones that I ran on my '65 Impala and then on my '73 Nova Hatchback, with 235/60R14 BFG Radial T/A's. They looked sweet, but they were heavy as heck! I think I still have an extra center cap laying around somewhere in storage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.