Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm am looking for the correct door mirrors for my 71. I found a couple of different mirrors on E-bay that claim to be for a 71. My Nova is also missing the SS hood. Is an SS hood the same as a non-SS hood, other that the holes for the ornaments ?? If so, does any one have (or willing to make) some drill templates for the hood holes ?? Or are the drill hole location dimensions listed in an assembly manual ?? (I need one of those too) Thanks for your help in advance

John

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
John'sCustoms said:
I'm am looking for the correct door mirrors for my 71. I found a couple of different mirrors on E-bay that claim to be for a 71. My Nova is also missing the SS hood. If a SS hood the same as a non-SS hood, other that the holes for the ornaments ?? If so, does any one have (or willing to make) some drill templates for the hood holes ?? Or is it listed in a assembly manual ?? Thanks for your help in advance

John
the hoods are the same except that the SS hood has little brackets that attach to the rear bolts of the ornaments......the brackets are avalable from a repop place...I believe they are originaly spot welded to the hood bracing........the holes are already laid out for ya...look at the underside of thehood the factory punches the front holes for the ornament through the underhood bracing..its just not through the skin yet...drill the holes through the skin that then line up the ornament on it and mark the remaining holes...too easy...
:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool !!!!!

Thanks bro...didn't even know that !!!! Thats why it says "newbie" next to my name !!! Which outfit do you think will carry those reinforcement tabs ?? I looked in the J&W catalog...couldn't find them. Anyway...do you know about my mirrors ??

Thanks

John

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
John'sCustoms said:
Thanks bro...didn't even know that !!!! Thats why it says "newbie" next to my name !!! Which outfit do you think will carry those reinforcement tabs ?? I looked in the J&W catalog...couldn't find them. Anyway...do you know about my mirrors ??

Thanks

John
Ok..Ground Up has the brackets...part number (based on the cat i have) KHB-1601A

Now the mirrors have been talked about before on here and I "think"(could be wrong) this is the general opinion of the way it was.......there was two mirrors (well three actually) I believe that were avalable...a round, a square (rectangular), and a remote controlled mirror(it was of the rectangular shape). The bowtie mirror was not ever avalable from GM (other than over the counter or as a dealer option):)

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will post the correct info...:)

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
John'sCustoms:

Stock mirror was the round with NO bowtie and the glass was held in with a snap ring.

Greg R.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I've seen those 'brackets' a few places out of the repops stores, ......the holes are alittle bigger then the louver studs, so I never really drilled them out all the way for some reason or another. On 3 hoods a few yrs back I started with a center punch and 'pilot hole' on those holes under the hood, if off alittle bit on the drilling, it turns into a real hassle.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I thought there was a thread somewhere, someone said the s/s hood also is diff. because of a slant or indentation of some sort on d/s to clear something else. But maybe it wasn't for a 3rd generation, I forget.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
John, you may be thinking of a thread a while back where the center of the hood was dipping down. Some thought it may be caused by the wieght of the ornaments. The only real difference between a SS hood and a non-SS hood that I have ever heard of is the hood ornament holes are already punched on the SS hood, and the braces mentioned before by Duane. Surprise Duane!!! You got one right!!!:D :D

Randy (Now remember if I ever get one right!!!):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
72GreenRally said:
mentioned before by Duane. Surprise Duane!!! You got one right!!!:D :D

Randy (Now remember if I ever get one right!!!):rolleyes:
And that is a surprise?????:rolleyes: :D

HEY if you spout off as often as I do in posts your bound to eventually get one right...just the law of averages :D So 5500+ posts and one right....that sounds about right;) :)

Dont worry Randy...if ya ever get one right I'm sure you'll know about it cause congress will make it an national holiday :D......J/K....:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts