Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey on my 71 402 big block non hei distributor I wanted to know what are the basic wires that need hooked up.. i have my main battery wire hooked to the main stud along with a fuse able linked black wire that goes back to the bulk head and i have my purple and yellow wires hooked to the starter solenoid.. and i check with that setup and i only have power at the main starter lug and at the black wire going to the bulk head but no where else.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hey on my 71 402 big block non hei distributor I wanted to know what are the basic wires that need hooked up.. i have my main battery wire hooked to the main stud along with a fuse able linked black wire that goes back to the bulk head and i have my purple and yellow wires hooked to the starter solenoid.. and i check with that setup and i only have power at the main starter lug and at the black wire going to the bulk head but no where else.
Your purple wire gets the 12 volts when the key is in the start position, which goes through the neutral safety switch and goes to the "s" stud of the starter solenoid.

The yellow wire should go to the opposite side stud "r" and it goes to the + side of the coil. When the starter is engaged, full 12 volts is sent to the coil from the starter and when you let go of the key the 12 volts is removed and the power comes from the ballast wire or resistor.

Check out the link below and click on your years wiring diagrahm. It explains it all.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91875

·
6,498 Posts
How are you finding out where you are getting power (test light, meter) ?.

If you are getting power on the black wire going to the bulkhead, maybe its not passing power to the inside portion of the bulkhead connector. To check this, see if you have any power on specific "hot all the time" fuses in the fuse block. If you don't then I would be looking at a connection on the bulkhead connector. If you do have power here then get to the wires on the ignition switch above the column and verify you have a constant 12 volts on the appropriate wire (probably a 10-12 gauge red wire). If so then turn the ignition switch to the crank position and now a different 10-12 gauge wire (probably a purple) should show 12 volts or light up a test light. If you are getting power this far down the line then the car may have a nuetral safety switch that may not be closed or if this is working right the connection past it going through the bulkhead connector may be a problem. To check this see if you have power on the purple wire on the engine bay side of the bulkhead connector while another person holds the ignition switch to the crank position.

Jim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey I am the guy with the 72 nova with the half finished wiring project

How are you finding out where you are getting power (test light, meter) ?.

If you are getting power on the black wire going to the bulkhead, maybe its not passing power to the inside portion of the bulkhead connector. To check this, see if you have any power on specific "hot all the time" fuses in the fuse block. If you don't then I would be looking at a connection on the bulkhead connector. If you do have power here then get to the wires on the ignition switch above the column and verify you have a constant 12 volts on the appropriate wire (probably a 10-12 gauge red wire). If so then turn the ignition switch to the crank position and now a different 10-12 gauge wire (probably a purple) should show 12 volts or light up a test light. If you are getting power this far down the line then the car may have a nuetral safety switch that may not be closed or if this is working right the connection past it going through the bulkhead connector may be a problem. To check this see if you have power on the purple wire on the engine bay side of the bulkhead connector while another person holds the ignition switch to the crank position.

I was checking with a test light.. and i only get juice off the main lug of the starter and the red wiring going back to the bulk head nothing else

Jim
I was checking with a test light.. and i only get juice off the main lug of the starter and the red wiring going back to the bulk head nothing else

·
6,498 Posts
If you have power on the engine side of the bulkhead and nothing for power on the other side of the bulkhead in the fuse block on a constant 12 volt fuse, then there probably is a connection problem with the bulkhead connector. Without looking at a wirng diagram I'm pretty sure the main feed behind the fuse block branches apart with some of it going to the fuse block to power certain sections on it and then also go up to the ignition switch assembly on top of the column.

If the bulkhead connector was ever taken apart and reassembled it might have been damaged or possibly the terminals inside of it are corroded. The main feed wire on the bulkhead connector handles alot of power and on the few I've taken apart sometimes they are partially melted.

I had a guy years ago buy a motor from me that was out of a Nova and I took it out with the harness intact for the engine and had it unplugged at the bulkhead connector. He was putting it back into a similiar Nova but then asked for my help figuring out why it wouldn't start. We looked real close and when he put the bulkhead connector together the starter solenoid wire was not aligned and when it was fully seated together, this terminal pushed out and didn't make connection to the other side. It was hard to see with the factory tar coating around the wires.

Jim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have power on the engine side of the bulkhead and nothing for power on the other side of the bulkhead in the fuse block on a constant 12 volt fuse, then there probably is a connection problem with the bulkhead connector. Without looking at a wirng diagram I'm pretty sure the main feed behind the fuse block branches apart with some of it going to the fuse block to power certain sections on it and then also go up to the ignition switch assembly on top of the column.

If the bulkhead connector was ever taken apart and reassembled it might have been damaged or possibly the terminals inside of it are corroded. The main feed wire on the bulkhead connector handles alot of power and on the few I've taken apart sometimes they are partially melted.

I had a guy years ago buy a motor from me that was out of a Nova and I took it out with the harness intact for the engine and had it unplugged at the bulkhead connector. He was putting it back into a similiar Nova but then asked for my help figuring out why it wouldn't start. We looked real close and when he put the bulkhead connector together the starter solenoid wire was not aligned and when it was fully seated together, this terminal pushed out and didn't make connection to the other side. It was hard to see with the factory tar coating around the wires.

Jim
that's actually a really interesting thought... ill have to check that out... honestly I am at the point where i might just rewire the ignition to the coil and have a live wire from my starter to my coil and stuff and just get it running again til i figure the rest out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts