Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both nuts on the front brake lines that connect to the rubber brake hoses are stripped. I bought some flare nut wrenches but I guess since they are rounded they can't grip the nut. In the process of putting disc on the front and this is kinda stopping me, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will I have to replace both lines from the master cyclinder to the wheels?

·
3,897 Posts
If you have a flaring tool you can cut the line and install new flare nuts or get new lines, your choice.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to replace my distribution block with the combo valve so it might be a good idea of replacing lines. Unless I can just bend my existing lines to match the holes for the combo valve and then get new flare nuts.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cut the lines and have some new brake line, just having trouble getting the 2nd flare. I'll see if I can find some videos.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
You may not have enough line when doing the first flare or the line is slipping in the clamp part of the tool.

To do a double flare, put the line in the clamp piece and extend it upward, the same height as the shoulder of the double flaring insert( sit the insert upside down on the clamp to judge how much you want to sit up out of the clamp), then lock it in place, set the insert in the tube/line and compress until it bottoms out on the clamp. Remove the insert double flaring piece and retighten the the tool down to roll the flare inward. A good flare tool is needed for this.

Practice on a spare piece of line, it's easy once you know how much material you need to do this.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had the same problem on the passenger side, I cut right above the bracket with a dremel + cut disc. Un-bend the brake line and flare the tube, you will just have enough to flare it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cut the lines and bought 25ft lol. Sometimes after the 2nd flare it gets cricked some how. Might have to invest in a better tube cutter, right now I have one of those little tiny things.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does stainless steel lines only need a single flare? I think I read something on here where someone said that. Maybe thats why it looks like crap?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
In some cases you can use a file to clean up the nut so a smaller wrench may work...maybe a 9mm
I always wire brush the connections really good and soak em with liquid wrench before attempting removal.....but usually end up with vise grips in my hand while checking to see if anyones watching me.:bored:l

1 - 12 of 12 Posts