Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ripped out my dash to find what looked to be like medusas hair. Wires were every where. So i started cutting and ripping out. I took my heater out while i was at it because it doesn't work and it does not get cold here in Houston.

I got most of the wires out except the ones for the ignition. So heres my question. Can i just yank all of that out and put in another ignition key switch in the dash or something?

I do not understand why there are so many wires if all i need are my wipers, my lights, and the ignition. Am i missing something else?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey bud. I'm kinda in the same sack there. I have a SHIZLOAD of wires melted together (mainly off the harness from column) and a bunch running over to the pass side where they hide behind stuff. I'm the same way.

Now I'd like to do the same, but too nervous to do it. Someone did however install a high end stereo system (kid) and didn't do too hot of a job either. so I have that to mess with> It's pretty bad when someone uses speaker wire for hots and grounds. Wire is cheap where I live! And where it was at... wasn't a cheap / quick fix... it was done that way with perm. in mind!

If I find something while I'm reading I'll post here.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i decided not to rip out the stock wiring harness. What i did do is rip out all the stuff i didn't need. I ripped out the clifford alarm system and the radio. That helped out a bunch and cleaned it up.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Think you could just rewire everything your self and just keep what you want. I think under the dash that what my car will be eventually. I pulled probably 30'-40' of wire out from under my dash when doing my auto meter gauges. I had to redo almost one whole harness plug @ the fire wall to engine bay. I actually took apart the harness and reused to pins and connectors and just elimated the ones I didnt need. I have only done wiring for the gauges and the underhood harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts