Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 69 Nova and 69 Camaro the seal of the windshield is a non hardening stuff. On the outside all around the window (a pillar and roof) I had to cut away a hardened seal but the stuff that actually holds the windshield in place is a soft adhesive.
I was wondering if using the soft, non hardening seal was done for a propose. Like more flexibility on the windshield avoiding it to crack or something? Or was it what they had back than and will a hardening adhesive work just fine? I just want to be sure before glueing it back in with todays window seal.
Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
I believe what you're thinking of is butyl rubber tape; it's the same stuff most utility companies use to seal up main power feeds to houses and the like. Non-hardening, but tacky and adhesive-like. I'm not 100% certain that's what was used on our cars from the factory, but it's the closest stuff I could think of off the top of my head.

If you need more of it, McMaster Carr sells it on their website here (just avoid the foam stuff). I have a roll of it at home for retrofitting headlights and sealing up odd holes that require a non-hardening seal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Yes that's the stuff I'm talking about.
I have some around on a roll too, the 3M brand.
It's very sticky and very usable for all kinds of repair.
But I wonder what the best option will be for the windshield, use that butyl tape or the regular now a days car window adhesive.
Think the butyl is a lot easier to work with though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts