Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to using this forum if this is covered somewhere please tell me where to look but I'm trying to figure out what ac kit I can get to fit my 76 it's a factory ac car but it doesnt have a heater box or any components under the hood I'm looking at the all in one kits from classic auto air or something similar but they stop at 74 anyone made one of these fit ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
New to using this forum if this is covered somewhere please tell me where to look but I'm trying to figure out what ac kit I can get to fit my 76 it's a factory ac car but it doesnt have a heater box or any components under the hood I'm looking at the all in one kits from classic auto air or something similar but they stop at 74 anyone made one of these fit ?
We just installed the Classic Auto Air system this past summer. Worked out great and blows cold and hot air just perfect.

We purchased the 1969 Camaro version. If you ask them if they have one for a 1976 Nova they will tell you none of them fit. However, given that lots of components on the front end of our Nova's are the same as a Camaro, I decided it would fit. I found that 99% of it was a 100% match. If you read our build thread (link below) you will see the two areas that I had to tweak it to fit...one vent and then one of the lines.

One of their guys on the phone refused to sell it to me when I told him it was for a Nova. So I just went back and said I needed one for a 1969 Camaro...voila...sold it to me.

Here is a link to post 220 when we brought it home.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5738033&postcount=220

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Miles nova 76 amazing info I was thinking the 74 nova kit but sounds like the 69 Camaro kit is perfect couldn't ask for better info !!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks Miles nova 76 amazing info I was thinking the 74 nova kit but sounds like the 69 Camaro kit is perfect couldn't ask for better info !!
Note that that will probably be true for any of the aftermarket kits. I used Classic Auto Air because they were local, so I figured if I ran into any issues it was a short 20 min drive to sort out. I also considered the Vintage. I liked the Classic Auto Airs replacement control panel better.

I only needed to go back to them once...they included two of the same part in the kit so I took it back and they traded me for the right one. The only area that is different is the core support. The camaro core support is different shape in a few areas. It was easy to tweak the bends to route around the differences. Take your time and it is straightforward.

The 74 Nova one might work...but I couldn't find a good picture of the dash, firewall etc to compare too...I did find that for the camaro which is what gave me the confidence to buy the 69 camaro version.

Don't forget to plan for how you want to mount the compressor. I think it is on page 15 or 16 on our build where I mention where I got the compressor mounts etc.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424858&page=15 or https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424858&page=16

1 - 5 of 5 Posts