Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 12 bolt that I need to have cut down to fit. I also have a 4 series Moser spool-not mini. The engine will be a 355 putting out approx 450hp (depends on how the port job comes out that Big Al is doing. ;) ) with a TH400 and a TCI 3500 stall converter. Tires will be small,I think they are 25-26in diameter wrinkle wall with tubes and maybe 9in wide if I remember correctly. The car will weigh somewhere around 2500 lbs and the rpm will be 6500-7200 at the top end.
Which gear would you run in the 1/8th mile and the 1/4 mile? I am not sure where I will be running it. It depends on whether Onondaga Dragway gets its zoning. It is a 1/8 mile and only about 10 miles from my house so I am hoping the township comes to its senses. Thank you Jim

One other question. I have 1 5/8 dia long tube headers on it with 18in pipes and then Flowmaster mufflers. Do you think that will work with a motor like this or do I need to go to 1 3/4 dia headers?

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I was going to say 4.30's or 33's but after seeing the rpm's, you'll need more like a 4.56 to reach that target as you're going through the traps.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I think with a 25"-26" tall tire and 4.56's you're going to be trapping higher than you want. I have 28" drag radials on my car with 4.56's in the 12 bolt and I'm right around 6800-6900 at the stripe. I'd drop down to 4.10's and I think you should be good with that shorter tire. That's my .02 anyway. Check out the diff calculators at this website. They may be some help to you.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php

Edit: the 1 5/8" headers should help with torque on low end, but if you're going to twist this thing into the 7000 range I'd switch over the 1 3/4". Again just my .02. I'm running Hooker 2243's on my 355 just an fyi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would put 4.10 - 4.33 gears in it.
and i would put 1 3/4 headers or it you have the money some step headers
1 3/4 to 1 7/8 would be nice .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys It has a 57-64 GM diff in it now,that is the one with the removeable center section. It is locked up as a posi with 4.88 gears. I will go look at the site that has the calculator. What size tire do you think I could run,stay within the stock wheel wells and still use the 4.88 gears? I am thinking it will be awhile until I can get the 12 bolt finished,the right way,so that it will fit. I have been out of work for a few months and needless to say money is kinda tight.
BTW,anyone have any 1 3/4in long tube headers that they are not using and want to sell? I do not care how they look as long as the flanges are straight,tubes aren't rusted out I do have a few bucks that i could spend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts