Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took the Nova to the scales today to see how much if weighed after the big block transplant.......came in at 3550 lbs.
Was a little more than what I had guessed.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I thought they were 3700 pounds any mods pieces cut out or is it all there.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taz........the big block has aluminum heads, which reduces weight somewhat.
I went on the Nova Resource site but couldn't find any weights for a big block.

·
6,497 Posts
americangraffiti said:
Finally took the Nova to the scales today to see how much if weighed after the big block transplant.......came in at 3550 lbs.
Was a little more than what I had guessed.
Did you use one of the truck scales or did some racer with the scales weigh all four corners ?.

Jim

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Custom Jim said:
Did you use one of the truck scales or did some racer with the scales weigh all four corners ?.

Jim
Jim, as matter of fact it was a truck scale.....is there a difference?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That makes sense my car is steel head w/manifolds and probally had a few extra parts in the trunk when I used the scale.I was passing by and thought I would pull in to see for curiousity sake the weight.

·
6,497 Posts
americangraffiti said:
Jim, as matter of fact it was a truck scale.....is there a difference?
I was just curious as to what you used. If I remember right aren't you south of Saint Louis ?. I know there is a truck stop down 55 by Pevely with a scale and it just stuck out in my head because last year I was down there and there was a big truck loading and unloading big concrete blocks to calibrate the scale and I was thinking the weight of a car is not that much compared to a rig and I just wonder how much if any the accuracy is off weighing a 1.5 or 2 ton object on a scale that might be more accurate weighing a 30 or 40 ton weight. I also too don't know how those scales operate like if it is a sliding balance beam or digital or what. I've never had to scale anything that big. I know years ago some freinds of mine in Desoto with a drag car had someone with the 4 independent scales that they could position under each tire to where they could see what each corner of the car weighed and allowed them to adjust the weight placement.

Jim

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I used the scale at the local landscrape yard. 2700 pounds with my big but sitting in the car. I drove in acting like I was asking a question at the pay window where you can look right in and see the scale. I had to laugh, the guy at the window said 2700 pounds that thing must move pretty good at that weight. I guess I was not fooling anyone.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2700 lb nova? is it finished? full interior? how much do you weigh?

holy crap thats impossible!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Custom Jim said:
I was just curious as to what you used. If I remember right aren't you south of Saint Louis ?. I know there is a truck stop down 55 by Pevely with a scale and it just stuck out in my head because last year I was down there and there was a big truck loading and unloading big concrete blocks to calibrate the scale and I was thinking the weight of a car is not that much compared to a rig and I just wonder how much if any the accuracy is off weighing a 1.5 or 2 ton object on a scale that might be more accurate weighing a 30 or 40 ton weight. I also too don't know how those scales operate like if it is a sliding balance beam or digital or what. I've never had to scale anything that big. I know years ago some freinds of mine in Desoto with a drag car had someone with the 4 independent scales that they could position under each tire to where they could see what each corner of the car weighed and allowed them to adjust the weight placement.

Jim
Jim........actually it was McClay Concrete, they have a digital scale.
After pulling onto the scales, I went inside and the guy showed me the reading (free of charge of course :D ).
Some of my buddies have used the scales at the Pevely truck stop.

·
Registered
762 Posts
my 70 nova with steel heads aluminum intake and radiator with all the interior in the car without me in it weighs 3160# on our truck scales at work and yes they are calibrated acouple times a year and state certified.
the scales at the freeway to weigh big trucks go in 20 lbs incremates so if you weigh 151lbs it says 160. if you weigh 149 it says 140! hope that helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
71 ss

Our 71 SS has a Chevy 302, cast heads and manifolds, aluminum intake, holley 2 barrel 500, factory dual exhaust, M21, 10 bolt, and all steel body panels, and full interior, including bucket seats. It weighs in at 2680. It's got 14 inch Rocket Racing mags on it. Manual steering, manual drum brakes, and no spare or jack. Its a time capsule straight out of the early 80's, as that is how my dad has kept it, even with the AC/DC 8 track tapes in it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts