Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I finally went to the 1/4 mile with my car yesterday. I got some slicks for it, but my stall will only go to 2000 as of now so its holding me back bigtime.....

I was full street trim all I did was add the slicks....and took my filter off....ok so not quite street trim haha. I ran 2 13.2s and 2 13.3s. one 2.1 60 ft and the rest 2.0s. pulling 84 mph in the 1/8th and 105 in the 1/4. so a 21 mph gain there. than I loaded the car back up with all my tools and put the slicks in the trunk, street tires back on...than they called for one last run so I ran it like that and ran a 13.6 @ 104 with a 2.3 60 ft....sweet!!

Also I was there with my buddy which towed his car...88 supra with 15 psi boost and a 75 shot...It ran a 12.7 with nitrous and a 14.0 without....SO I am happy that i beat him on boost..

So now I pretty much am looking for a 3000 stall converter so I can drop that 60 to a 1.7 and pull some mid 12s at 105+

All in all a great day at the track for me!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
hey what track did you go to? what tire pressure did you have in the slicks ? how much gear do you have ? looks like you had a blast good job sweet deal :yes:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey what track did you go to? what tire pressure did you have in the slicks ? how much gear do you have ? looks like you had a blast good job sweet deal :yes:
I went to Fontana, I had anywhere from 19 to 15 and the times were the same. I have 3.42 gears...and yes it ws way fun!! 5 runs is good for me man!!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I went to Fontana, I had anywhere from 19 to 15 and the times were the same. I have 3.42 gears...and yes it ws way fun!! 5 runs is good for me man!!
oh crap i didnt even know they where running was it the street legals ? you may have had crappy 60 ft times cause the track isnt prepped to good for that event but anyways. you may need more gear but i would like to know what your combo is first to give you better info i guess it doesnt matter though your car still ran good did you drive it up there and back thats good :yes:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh crap i didnt even know they where running was it the street legals ? you may have had crappy 60 ft times cause the track isnt prepped to good for that event but anyways. you may need more gear but i would like to know what your combo is first to give you better info i guess it doesnt matter though your car still ran good did you drive it up there and back thats good :yes:
It was def. gripping but it would stall up to 2000 and than stay there for like a half a second before rising.....so its kinda like a dead spot for this cam....my cam is rated for 3000-6800....got 2000 hughes, 3.42s with 26 inch slicks, 750 carb, 2.05 heads, seems like the converter is holding my 60 back...

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
It was def. gripping but it would stall up to 2000 and than stay there for like a half a second before rising.....so its kinda like a dead spot for this cam....my cam is rated for 3000-6800....got 2000 hughes, 3.42s with 26 inch slicks, 750 carb, 2.05 heads, seems like the converter is holding my 60 back...
yeah your right you may need more converter i would go with a 3400 0r 3600 something in that area and you could use more gear too what rpm where you shifting and trapping at

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just looked up the specs on my cam and it says 2800+ stall and its rated for 2500-6800. I tried shifting at 5500 and 6000 and it ran the same times......crossing the traps at right around 5000 in third or 7000 in second........but I think with the 3000 stall I would be more like 6000 in third..cus it would launch harder and pull more mph.....plus I would like to try shifting at 6500 but I didnt have enough time to try that.....It seemed to gain 1 mph shifting it 500 rpms later though....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Well I just looked up the specs on my cam and it says 2800+ stall and its rated for 2500-6800. I tried shifting at 5500 and 6000 and it ran the same times......crossing the traps at right around 5000 in third or 7000 in second........but I think with the 3000 stall I would be more like 6000 in third..cus it would launch harder and pull more mph.....plus I would like to try shifting at 6500 but I didnt have enough time to try that.....It seemed to gain 1 mph shifting it 500 rpms later though....
have you tried shifting at 6800 will the motor go that high. yeah your going to need more gear i would suggest 3.73s to 3.90s so with a 3200 -3500 converter i see low 12s with that set up if you can get the car to hook low 1.70 maybe 1.65s 60ftrs and still be able to drive it home :yes: :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have you tried shifting at 6800 will the motor go that high. yeah your going to need more gear i would suggest 3.73s to 3.90s so with a 3200 -3500 converter i see low 12s with that set up if you can get the car to hook low 1.70 maybe 1.65s 60ftrs and still be able to drive it home :yes: :D
Ok well the next time I got to the track ill have a converter in it....to see how she does........

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Ok well the next time I got to the track ill have a converter in it....to see how she does........
cool let me now when you go out next time to california speedway im 5 minutes from there im more than happy to come watch,help,shoot the s**** and get in the way for a nova bud nphnp :yes:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
just because the cam is good to 6800rpm doesnt mean everything else is. what are your heads? valve springs? intake manifold? i had an isky cam that was 'good' to 7500rpm. i shifted at 6200 beacuse thats where the motor liked it. on top of that if you have a hydraulic ir hyd. roller my guess is you'll not be as likely to spin mega rpm.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool let me now when you go out next time to california speedway im 5 minutes from there im more than happy to come watch,help,shoot the s**** and get in the way for a nova bud nphnp :yes:
Alright man I will def. let you know. What about you...DO you race?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just because the cam is good to 6800rpm doesnt mean everything else is. what are your heads? valve springs? intake manifold? i had an isky cam that was 'good' to 7500rpm. i shifted at 6200 beacuse thats where the motor liked it. on top of that if you have a hydraulic ir hyd. roller my guess is you'll not be as likely to spin mega rpm.
Oh ok....that makes sense...well ill try out different shift points to see what it likes more...My heads are basically just ported smog heads with big valves in them...nothin special. Springs are comps dual with a damper in the middle....intake mani is an old offenhauser thats rated for 6300 max. Cam is solid flat tappet.....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Alright man I will def. let you know. What about you...DO you race?
yezzer i run in the psca trophy class ( braket racing ) my car runs low 12s when it wants too im having fuel issues right know chack out the la invasion video my car is the gray primered with black hood 63 chevyII

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
should have ran quicker but i was chasing a lean gremlin but i may have figured that out. i need to work on my launch and burnout technique as well i maybe changing my converter and rearend gears too

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
If you are looking for a good converter on a budget look into the ******* converters on ebay. I am running one of there 4000 stalls, I called and gave him all my info and he built it to my combo for $300 bucks. Great people and the converter works awesome, I know several other people who run these and are very happy also!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts