Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 3 hour ride to Carolina Dragway, called the house of hook, Friday night for my PTRA race Saturday. I had not been there before but everyone told me it was a hooking son of a gun and would readjust my eye sockets. It is a very nice facility but I sure couldn't brag on any hook. I had the worst 60 ft times I've had all year and with the same tune up I ran 5.30 with at Pagelnad I could only run a 5.39 at the HOH. I was having 1.23 sixty ft times compared to 1.20s at Pageland. I worked all day, every pass, to find more speed. I qualified with a 5.33 and kept digging. Ran a 5.311 to win first round, ran a 5.317 second round then lost 3rd round when I got treed.......LOL. Car would only run a 5.325 but the other guy only ran a 5.337 but his .021 light beat my .041. My car ran a 5.18 at Shadyside with the tune up that's in it now and the best it would run with it at the HOH was a 5.31. I won some money and should have done well in points. I was 4th and I think I'll be second or third now. The first place man broke and never made a pass and the third place guy lost first round. The battle continues.......LOL. RM

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i always say s*** happens sorry to hear about your hooking situation ive heard from some of my friends that the house of hook is real good for traction and i live on the west coast :eek: well at least you had fun right thats what its about anyways :yes: although the money is always nice too :devil:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Weather??:confused:
It's was a warm day!!!:confused:

The 2 trips I have made to Shadyside I was impressed with the track. My pic was taken at that track.

HOH name started back when I raced a lot. 80's They were the only ones prepping the complete track back in the days!

How u like that uphill shut down! Kinda funny feeling!:D

Al

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was OK with the shutdown area running 1/8 mile but I swear if you run 1/4 mile it is very short and uphill. I spoke to several locals and they told me they have run 200 mph there in 1/4 mile and stopped but used both chutes.......LOL. I don't think I'd be happy doing it. As for the weather there it really wasn't bad. Low 80s, 70% humidity, 2990 Baro and partly cloudy most of the time. In the same weather at a track with real hook I'd have been running low 20s with that tune up.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you'd be surprised if you talk to alot of the drag radial guys and the 10.5 guys they'll tell ya that track HOOKS. What screws up any track surface is if alot of real street tire cars run and the surface gets dirty and balled up. If not scraped and sprayed with VHT forget it. Out here we have streets that hook better than our tracks!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My buddy Kevin holds the PTRA record in Perfect street and he runs drag radials. He lost cause he got stuck in the left lane and he said he blew the tires off in the left all day. Another buddy, Jamie Owens was there testing his new PM car. He ran 4.22 back to back in the heat of the day. He made another pass about 8 PM and the car got loose at 330. He ended up hitting the wall and barrel rolling the car 5 times on the wall. Brand new Teddy Houser dual rail PM 2 months ago is now junk. He was not hurt. We didn't see any bald spots or rolled rubber but for us and alot of others there was little hook at the place they call the House Of Hook........LOL. Pageland and Shadyside always have hook. RM

·
Registered
509 Posts
My buddy Kevin holds the PTRA record in Perfect street and he runs drag radials. He lost cause he got stuck in the left lane and he said he blew the tires off in the left all day. Another buddy, Jamie Owens was there testing his new PM car. He ran 4.22 back to back in the heat of the day. He made another pass about 8 PM and the car got loose at 330. He ended up hitting the wall and barrel rolling the car 5 times on the wall. Brand new Teddy Houser dual rail PM 2 months ago is now junk. He was not hurt. We didn't see any bald spots or rolled rubber but for us and alot of others there was little hook at the place they call the House Of Hook........LOL. Pageland and Shadyside always have hook. RM
I dont know.........Joe. I have been to both Shady Side and The House of Hook running events and TNT days. I have had alot more issues with Shady Side than H of H and I dont make no power either.:D But an 8.5 inch tire is marginal at best on a good car. This is the first I have heard of a negative on Jackson hooking. I wouldnt write off Jackson after one try. Everyone has an of day.

Glad your friend is ok.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no plans to go back there unless the PTRA schedules another event there. It is a nice facility and maybe it was just a weather thing or the track didn't like my chassis set up but to get there is a long lonely aggravating ride. 3 hrs of 2 lane country roads is just no fun........LOL. That's why I had never been there before, you can't get there from Gaffney......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
3 hrs of 2 lane country roads is just no fun........LOL. That's why I had never been there before, you can't get there from Gaffney......LOL. RM

They have needed a Major Interstate between Greenville/Spartanburg to Augusta GA for years!

IE: Gafney SC to Beach Island SC!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We need several new interstates and a real upgrade of I26 and the rest of I85 in my opinion. I doubt I'll live to see them completed.......LOL.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have no plans to go back there unless the PTRA schedules another event there. It is a nice facility and maybe it was just a weather thing or the track didn't like my chassis set up but to get there is a long lonely aggravating ride. 3 hrs of 2 lane country roads is just no fun........LOL. That's why I had never been there before, you can't get there from Gaffney......LOL. RM
To each his own. I, too have to travel over half the trip on a two lane road. There isnt an easy for those of us in this neck of the woods. Hope to ya at Shady Side soon.

Scott

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have no races scheduled for SS. The race we had scheduled for the new track in Union for 6/20 was just cancelled and the race will be at Mooresville on 6/20 now. Techinical issues with lights, the PA system and timing systems at the new track I guess. We do have a race at Orangeburg. I have never been there either. If I go to SS it would be to test and I hope I can figure out whatever while at the races.......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
We have no races scheduled for SS. The race we had scheduled for the new track in Union for 6/20 was just cancelled and the race will be at Mooresville on 6/20 now. Techinical issues with lights, the PA system and timing systems at the new track I guess. We do have a race at Orangeburg. I have never been there either. If I go to SS it would be to test and I hope I can figure out whatever while at the races.......LOL. RM
if you go to Orangeburg please get intouch with me.

Big Al

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a race there so if I ain't dead and the car isn't torn up I'll be going.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Went to Orangeburg last year. Really nice.:yes: Its the only track I've been too that checked my rollbar tubing thickness.:eek: I know your car is up to snuff on all the certs. but they do check EVERY-thing and give you a yearly cert. sticker for your car. I really liked that track its just 3.5+ hours from the house.

BigAl dont even think about it unless your running motor only!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts