Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well some what good news, but as some of you know if you read my last thead about my car having possible starter problems, well turns out its a short some where that keeps draining my battery. anyone know what can be sucking up my battery? i have no inside lights or anything that stays on

·
Registered
159 Posts
well some what good news, but as some of you know if you read my last thead about my car having possible starter problems, well turns out its a short some where that keeps draining my battery. anyone know what can be sucking up my battery? i have no inside lights or anything that stays on
i had a buddy who put a chrome alternator in his 76 GMC Sprint and it drained his battery 2 or 3 times before he realized it. i don't remember what exactly was happening, but since you said you replaced the alt that it could possibly have something to do with that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
short

Put 12 volt test light between battery post and neg cable lite will light dim pull fuses until test light goes out the circuit that light goes out is where short to ground is:chev:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Alternator Diode

If you have a bad diode in the alternator it will drain the battery. Follow the instructions about putting a test light between the battery and the battery cable end and if a short is present, the light will light up. Try that, and then disconnect the wires from the alternator and try it again. If the light doens't come on when the alternator is disconnected, the problem is the alternator.
Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts