Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Chevy ll Nova SS 4 Speed Original
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the site and learning my way around. I've been a racer for a very long time. First in Road course and Oval in Formula Cars, then in Drag racing both Dragsters and Outlaw Door Cars. Sold the whole operation earlier this year and bought a original 64 SS 4 Speed car. Just making some updates to it now in the stopping and suspension area. Car still has the original paint on it. the interior has been redone but sitting in the seat is like sitting on a down pillow. I prefer a little firmer but that is to come later. here's a pic of the little monster. Hope to glean some knowledge off of the peeps on here.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
welcome to the nova site an with a fine 64 SS you scored. Little Monster, i guess your referring to the nova an not the little one in sun glasses. enjoy the cruise when you can.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Super nice ride! Soft spot in my heart for the 1st gens for sure!! Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing!! Any more pics are always appreciated. Did I mention we LOVE pictures? All us crayon/paste-eaters have a hard time with text, but pictures speak a thousand RPMs... er, words.

Again, welcome to SNS!!

~Andy

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Grandpa make it go loud again.
My middle son used to yell from the back seat (in his Simpson Racing car seat) "Speeder, DaDa... SPEEDER!!!" Ahh, what fun times those were indeed!! That lil' guy looks to be just about the right size to get his hands in there for those hard-to-reach spark plugs under those Gen 1 fenderwell headers...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
64 Coupe, I have 205/50r/15 they are toyo racing type tires. I have some 255's but they rub just a little

·
Registered
79 Posts
15" front and rear? Do you know the offset of the rims? I have. 64 coupe also and plan to do Torque Thrust II's but know I have to be careful with tire size due to the 3-3/8" offset of the rim. Not sure yet what size rubber will fit with those rims.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not sure on the back spacing I'll have to measure tonight. I do know without modifications and my current rims its tight at the fender, BUT I do have some more room to the inside with a different back spacing. Maybe an inch or two

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! Great looking 64!... thanks for posting the pic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
64 Sport Coupe I checked my back spacing and its 3 1/2 inches. The rim will take a larger tire but it rubs a little both front during turning and rear at the side wall

·
Registered
79 Posts
1320 pilot, thank you for the information. I looked at a '64 Chevy II hardtop at a car show this past weekend that had 14x6 Torque Thrust II's on it on the front with 185/70-14 tires and 15x7's on the rear with 195/65-15's and they were a tight fit (at least the rears were close to the quarter panel lip). The owner said a tire shop worked with him on selecting tires that would fit his rims without rubbing. His car had 2" drop spindles with front disc brakes that I believe push the wheels out quite a bit. His rear axle was original but re-arched the springs to bring it down some. It looked great just like yours does.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Welcome from Norcal! Great picture and I can imagine your Grandson sitting in the car while parked in the garage, racing through the gears like he is 1/4 mile racing it. Heck I would be doing it today myself, so if you come home to a strange dude making engine noises and shifting through the gears, don't panic, I am harmless and will be gone after I run the perfect lap in my mind ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts