Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Go ahead and try it... You'll be needing a larger piece of metal 'patch' than you had thought... :yes::D:yes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to agree^^. I have tried a few tricks,like "noodling" a hole, or,for a bigger hole/patch,use a piece of copper on the underside to help fill the hole.Best bet,for a hole that size,replace with a patch.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i already tried it w/copper backing and w/out i burnt through some metal however once i hit good solid metal i welded it up and sanded it smooth i liked the hole i filled with the copper because it didn't leave the back side as rough as with out the copper

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I think its a bit much to fill in. It may hold, will prolly be full of porosity and the back side, not that it matters to some, will look really bad. A simple hole saw makes nice round patches. The plug from the center will be nicely undersized. Then just shape it to the contour of the surrounding panel and weld in. JR

·
5,152 Posts
I think its a bit much to fill in. It may hold, will prolly be full of porosity and the back side, not that it matters to some, will look really bad. A simple hole saw makes nice round patches. The plug from the center will be nicely undersized. Then just shape it to the contour of the surrounding panel and weld in. JR
I agree. Porosity will be a big issue.
You are also likely to have welding wire sticking thru in a few spots. unless you can get at the backside to remove them and apply corrosion protection, it will start rusting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts