Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out workin on welding some holes up in my firewall and a neighbor stop buy to see what I was up to and noticed the lovely holes I could make in the sheet metal.He told me to hold the tip further back (from 1/2" to about 3/4")this will vary with your welder and to my surprise I butt welded the sheet metal with no blow holes.This is for NO GAS mig flux cor welding it helps to reduce the heat intensity.Still need to be cautious though smalll areas at a time,but it sure is much neater.

Hope it helps Paul

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
You can also get a peice of copper and use it as a backing behind the hole while welding, prevents blowing big holes by supporting the molten metal and it will not stick, unless you go crazy with the heat .

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that works well even without a filler piece for smaller holes.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Since were on the subject of tips, Here's one that some body and paint people know and some don't. While applying plastic filler over some curved surfaces such as contoured fender lips and lower fender panels it is hard to get a smooth surface with a putty knife or squegie. I found out if you buy those cheesie throw away paint brushes ( under a dollar ) cut them off to be about 1 inch . to keep them kinda stiff. You can paint your filler on like real thick paint. Remember to use a little less harder but not so little that it will not harden and you can do a real smooth job. Sure cuts down on the sanding time since you don't have those clumps to file or sand. Works Great, try it. Oh The brush is a one time use deal so buy a half dozen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts